Snow birds due to covid..

Wife and are both in IT for our jobs and are fortunate enough to be able to telework from anywhere. We are from PA and thinking for next winter instead of winterizing the camper and storing it we will pull it to SC and stay there for a few months then drag it back to PA for the summer. Is there any place that you recommend (campground or even a condo and leave the camper at home) on a lake that has some good crappie fishing? Even largemouth \ smallies, but i do get tons of smallies up here. Also do lakes freeze over in SC? Basically looking to fish all winter somwhere while still being 7-10 hours from home.

The older i get the more i hate the cold, granted im only 47 but we have got the shits of the cold and snow.
    2015 G3 1860 CCJ -Poly sprayed bottom
    2015 Yamaha 90/65 Jet
    Run skinny, not scared!

The lakes in SC do NOT freeze over! So, you’re good to go anywhere in the state!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Thanks Jeff, I think we are going to talk to a realtor down there and see what they have to say. Not sure they could help us with a campground but maybe a small condo/apartment. Might contact a local dcnr and see what they say. Is it safe to assume most of the pleasure boaters and jet skiers are off the lake in the winter months there or is it still warm enough for that?
    2015 Yamaha 90/65 Jet
    Run skinny, not scared!

4. Member
    Lakes never freeze and right now water temps running 48-50.You could stay at the State Park Lake Greenwood 12,000 acres. Also a private RV campground available can’t remember name. At Greenwood ramp available smaller lake @ 12,000 acres so rough water not an issue. You would be an hour or less from ramps at Lakes Hartwell, Russell, Murray, and Clarke’s Hill and a couple smaller lakes like Monticello which is the only one with smallmouth.

Yeah we were actually looking at greenwood and that private campground,moons landing was the name. Thanks for the info guys.
    2015 Yamaha 90/65 Jet
    Run skinny, not scared!

6. Member
    If you like spotted bass, Lake Keowee is great all winter. Crappie fishing is not as common due to lack of structure but there are good crappie in the lake. South Cove County Park is awesome - right on the lake. I live on the lake so let me know if I can answer any questions.

7. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Lake Russell or Greenwood for crappie Russell has a few camp grounds but it is kind of desolate. Greenwood is more "urban" with grocery stores etc. That would be in your 7-10 hour window.
    Hartwell will get some skim ice on it in the coves when it gets really cold. May want to look at Lake Wylie also close to Charlotte. Lots of options for you.

8. Member
    Straight down 95 is Santee Cooper seems like I see a lot of campers there for months at a time

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2dwoods View Post
    Straight down 95 is Santee Cooper seems like I see a lot of campers there for months at a time
    ^^^This

Quote Originally Posted by bobothewizard View Post
    Thanks Jeff, I think we are going to talk to a realtor down there and see what they have to say. Not sure they could help us with a campground but maybe a small condo/apartment. Might contact a local dcnr and see what they say. Is it safe to assume most of the pleasure boaters and jet skiers are off the lake in the winter months there or is it still warm enough for that?
    I can't comment on the pleasure boaters and jet skiers, as the only time I spend there is early spring on Santee and there are not any of those people around the area of Santee that I fish. The pleasure boaters and jet skiers generally are concentrated on the north shore of the upper lake...an area I have only fished a couple of times.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobothewizard View Post
    Wife and are both in IT for our jobs and are fortunate enough to be able to telework from anywhere. We are from PA and thinking for next winter instead of winterizing the camper and storing it we will pull it to SC and stay there for a few months then drag it back to PA for the summer. Is there any place that you recommend (campground or even a condo and leave the camper at home) on a lake that has some good crappie fishing? Even largemouth \ smallies, but i do get tons of smallies up here. Also do lakes freeze over in SC? Basically looking to fish all winter somwhere while still being 7-10 hours from home.

The older i get the more i hate the cold, granted im only 47 but we have got the shits of the cold and snow.
    the lake hartwell area would be my choice. It is an awesome overall fishery although you may not hear that from a lot of people in that area. We go down there 6 or so times a year and in 30 years I have never had a bust trip there. My dad loves to crappie fish and he always tells me that hartwell would be his favorite crappie lake if it was closer to home here in central NC. I am sure there is a place where you can have a camper around the lake somewhere. I personally like the lavonia and hartwell ga area and if I ever moved it would be to that area. You have access to some phenomenal fishing between hartwell, Russell, clarks hill, keowee, and a few other lakes in a reasonable drive.

12. Member
    Most pleasure boaters off the lakes at this time of year. That is one of the reasons I love Keowee in the winter as you have it to yourself!

13. Member
    Cane Creek rv camp ground if you ate still considering Greenwood. A lot newer and less crowded than Moons.

14. Member
    Also pier 96 has condos on the lake I believe.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingman4336 View Post
    Cane Creek rv camp ground if you ate still considering Greenwood. A lot newer and less crowded than Moons.
    Is it still limited to class A motor homes only?
    Phoenix 21PHX 250 SHO, Lowrance Carbons & Ghost & Active Target

16. Member
    Not sure but now that you mention it I believe it is