Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don’t really know. I’ve caught crappie, bream, cats directly under the boat in 6-8’ with the machine running. Bass? I don’t normally fish vertically for them so no clue. I do turn it off or stby if I’m sight fishing just because I’m not looking at it.

A few years ago it was dead flat calm and there was a herd of gar around me. Of course I needed to mess with the fly pole so I watched them closely. They were rolling but none within 20’ of the boat and I was being quiet. I turned both machines off and within a minute that 20’ ring went away. Whites and hybrids never seemed to be bothered.

I always will be as quiet as possible. I've always wondered if the noise doesn't make much difference to smaller, less experienced fish, but larger fish may be more likely to shut down if there's noise. Could be a genetic thing too, bass evolved over the eons without any sonar clicking, so they may not react to it as it hasn't been programmed into their genes as a threat.

3. Member
    If I'm target fishing in shallow water, I usually put mine on Standby. We have so many steep banks and channel swings in our creeks and drains that most of the time I leave mine on to find those. My hydrowave is on if fish are on a shad bite 100% of time.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

4. Member
    I have never turned my bow depth finder off in shallow water since the Humminbird Super 60. Were I to do so, on Lowrance units I would use 'stop sonar' button rather than standby.

Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I have never turned my bow depth finder off in shallow water since the Humminbird Super 60. Were I to do so, on Lowrance units I would use 'stop sonar' button rather than standby.
    Stop sonar definitely works. Obviously not relevant for you since you're not doing it, but in case anyone else has Lowrance units: One thing to watch if you happen to have either downscan or sidescan capability with your bow unit is that you need to go into the Structure Scan menu/page to stop sonar there as well.

I was messing around with mine that was paired with an HDI transducer in the garage and noticed it was still clicking after I hit "stop sonar" on the 2D menu. Long story short, I found that opening the Structure Scan menu (for Downscan in that case) revealed another "stop sonar" option and that stopped the clicking.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

If I turned off my sonar every time I fished shallow (1-3’) I wouldn’t need it at all. I do turn off the console graph and SS, but it’s hard to navigate shallow without the TM mounted 2D. All depends on how far away I’m casting too. Pitching and Flipping up close, it’s off. Longer presentations I leave it on. Never thought it to make a difference from say 20’ or further.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12