Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Braid on baitcaster

What color are you using that is more visible than the standard black or green? If the fish are spooky do you think it affects them?

2. Member
    I use just a moss green on all my baitcaster. I am not sure if the color would affect bites or not, but seagur makes a "hi vis" green that isn't as bright as others I have seen
    Fish have fins, they swim

3. Member
    Yellow, which fades to white. Yes. Then color the last 5' with a wide tipped sharpie with a notch in the tip.

4. Member
    There are very few things I use braid for. Topwater baits, and A Rigs are most common. Braid has let me down more times than I can count. You can get hung and pull the anchor cleat off the boat trying to break it off or set the hook on a bluegill with 40 lb test that's been against a rock and Twiinnnnggg. It also makes a noise I do not like coming through the eyes.

On topwater I use white. I've been using 30 lb battle line and it works good. Visibility hasn't been an issue. On A Rigs I either use white battle line or some black not sure what it is braid.

5. Member
    Bright orange braid, with a fluorocarbon leader. Old eyes suck.

Started with Moss green...trying Hi-Vis yellow w/ braid leader on my drop shot rods this year.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    Yellow, which fades to white. Yes. Then color the last 5' with a wide tipped sharpie with a notch in the tip.
    +1

8. Member
    Still using Power Pro moss green on baitcasters. Most of what I fish with baitcaster & braid has tension between the bait and rod, so feeling replaces sight. I went to high-viz yellow with a FC leader last year for drop shot, Ned & shakey. I like it and I’ll keep with the yellow for those. The yellow doesn’t seem to fade color like the green, but it might be because I trim and re-tie leaders a lot.

9. Member
    If we jump back 10 years I used FC on most everything but the frog and punching stick. Now, I fish straight braid mostly and don't use leaders. I fish the PP Moss green in 30# mostly. Go to 50# if I'm doing something like a frog or punching. for whatever reason, I have two spools of FC on my t-rig rods where the others are braid. zero difference in fish catching.

should be noted that I'm fishing relatively shallow Florida waters with vegitation around at times. If I was fishing for a smallmouth in 30ft of water at Dale Hollow, I likely would use FC and lite test to boot.

I have 3 ten pound bass on 30# pp. None on FC or Mono. I will attest that I've adjusted my huge hook sets so that I don't snap my line on the hookset.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

10. Member
    I don’t get how people break off with braid... most people on here won’t go under 40lb test braid and they still have breakage issues. I have 20lb braid on most of my casting setups with a few 30lb for light flipping and frogging. The only braid I’ve ever broke has been when I backlash with Power Pro Super Slick of Spiderwire Stealth. I’ve had braid gray from rocks and docks but even then I’ve never broken off. Most of my line is about 5years old too
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I use Gliss as my braid of choice. It comes in moss green, white and pink. Quiet running through the guides and have fished a 110 whopper plopper all day without retying. 40# bait caster (8# equivalent size) and 24# spinning.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanhore View Post
    +1
    Yellow for drop shot sure.... because the depth lane you are fishing the fish never get to see the yellow line ..... but if you are dragging a spinnerbait or a crankbait with yellow line 5' ahead of your leader.... the fish will see that yellow line well before the lure comes to them... putting them on guard

Straight moss green 50 pound braid for flipping, frogging, and swim jigs around vegetation. In and around thick cover it does not spook the fish. I’ve even used it is very sparse weeds in very clear water and still catch fish.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Dogfish_Jones
    I have a couple baitcasters rigged with the moss green braid. I just use them for my flipping jigs. My spinning reels I use hi-vis green but have about a 10’ leader with fluorocarbon line.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    I don’t get how people break off with braid... most people on here won’t go under 40lb test braid and they still have breakage issues. I have 20lb braid on most of my casting setups with a few 30lb for light flipping and frogging. The only braid I’ve ever broke has been when I backlash with Power Pro Super Slick of Spiderwire Stealth. I’ve had braid gray from rocks and docks but even then I’ve never broken off. Most of my line is about 5years old too
    In the mid 90s when braid became popular I had it on a couple spinning rods for fishing in my canoe. I would jerk the lips off of calico with my hookset and tear the mouth off of small bass. In tournaments I started snapping line on hooksets from sunfish with a 4 inch worm. It wasn't until about 4 years ago that I used the stuff again. Back then we blamed the line for being grey and tired from overuse. Don't even think that was the case. Just bad line. I think the demand was so high to get the stuff on the shelf they didn't QC it very well.

To the OP if I'm using straight braid I have already ruled out any concern for color or sensitivity. I buy whatever I can get at a good price and use it. I'm not line watching. There is superior line but even the cheap stuff is much better than the first wave of braid that was sold. Once I feel resistance I pull. The only tournament frog fish I ever caught anchored a winning bag. It was a little over 2 pounds and I ripped it's jaw off one side on the hookset from 75 feet away. Total reaction hookset on a 7'6" medium action rod. Needless to say I don't have the feel for using braid mastered yet.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 02-02-2021 at 11:26 AM.

Faded Green

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Braid has zero stretch, and zero shock strength....thats why. Improper use by person.

18. Member
    I have one casting reel spooled with 30lb yellow power pro. I use it just for weightless or very light weighted plastics (wacky rigs, weightless senko, fluke or maybe up to a 3/16oz weight) just to see the light bite.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LgMouthGambler View Post
    Braid has zero stretch, and zero shock strength....thats why. Improper use by person.
    A hackney quote on btl recently really stuck with me. If you have the proper line, rod, and drag you should never break off. Never. I found his advice 100% correct, if you are having issues breaking off something is wrong with the setup.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

20. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    A hackney quote on btl recently really stuck with me. If you have the proper line, rod, and drag you should never break off. Never. I found his advice 100% correct, if you are having issues breaking off something is wrong with the setup.
    I agree. If you’re breaking off it’s a knot or nicked line issue. You just shouldn’t break off, and I do it too! It’s always an issue with the knot that I tied the hook too fast with copoly/flouro using a soft plastic.

The only reason i use 50lb 832 as opposed to 30 or 40 is that the smaller diameter digs in my spool on a hookset or during a fight with a good fish.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast