Ranger RT 198 planing problem

Good evening, I have a 2017 Ranger RT 198 with a Mercury 150 (4 stroke) that struggles to get max speed when another person is in the boat. When I’m by myself, the boat shoots out the hole great and hits anywhere from 57-58 mph with 5800 rpm, just as it should. My issue is when I have a passenger the boat doesn’t seem to be getting on plane or pad as it maxes out around 48mph. Half the time the boat will just ride from point A to point B with nothing changing (48mph) but more times than not the boat will kick in with almost like a turbo feel out of nowhere and you can actually feel the boat come out of the water and onto the pad. All this happens with Rpm’s staying the same at 5800 and the boat hitting around 54-55 mph.

Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Does anyone think a new prop (current prop size is 23), jack plate, or finding a way to adjust tilt/trim to get motor to come up a little more would be something to try? Curious if anyone else has had this problem with this model.

Typical, but there are a LOT of discussions that may have already answered your questions and more.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Is 48 mph typical for this rig and the mercury 150 4strk? I know has to do with lot of variables but that seems substantially slower by just adding 1 person. How much did the second passenger add weight wise? Interested because I’m looking at trading my 188 for a 198 just to get some more speed. Currently I’m only about 2-3 mph slower with 1/2 gas, full wells, all gear and my partner who’s in excess of 3 bills. What hole is you motor mounted in also?

4. Member
    No, 48 mph isn’t typical, it’s an issue I’m having with my boat specifically. When the passenger is in the boat it will run 54-55 easy when it gets on plane and on the pad. The problem is I can’t get it to do this without some manipulation. I either have to hit some chop on the water or raise and lower the tilt and trim and occasionally it will kick in and you’ll feel more acceleration as the boat lifts out of the water and on pad. My partner is around 190 pounds for what it’s worth.

I don’t have a jack plate on it or anything but considering adding a little more cupping to prop ears or going for a new prop (going from 23p tempest to a 24). Amost feels like I’m going to have to live with it but I wouldn’t think this is something you’ll see with all 198’s or you’d have a lot more people than me complaining about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matteo View Post
    No, 48 mph isn’t typical, it’s an issue I’m having with my boat specifically. When the passenger is in the boat it will run 54-55 easy when it gets on plane and on the pad. The problem is I can’t get it to do this without some manipulation. I either have to hit some chop on the water or raise and lower the tilt and trim and occasionally it will kick in and you’ll feel more acceleration as the boat lifts out of the water and on pad. My partner is around 190 pounds for what it’s worth.

I don’t have a jack plate on it or anything but considering adding a little more cupping to prop ears or going for a new prop (going from 23p tempest to a 24). Amost feels like I’m going to have to live with it but I wouldn’t think this is something you’ll see with all 198’s or you’d have a lot more people than me complaining about it.

before you change props need to get a vessel view and see what rpm you boat is actually performing at. I had the same issue with mine and the boat was only running about 5300rpm. Took the prop down to the prop shop in okc and he did some work to it and it runs great. This was summer when I was having the issues and boat would run 54 with a passenger and 57 with me. This winter the boat is at 5700-5800 and almost hitting 60 since the water is cooler.

6. Member
    What did he do to the prop?

What did he do to the prop?

be honest not %100. I told them that the boat rides bow heavy and would like to see 2-300 more rpm out of it. Don’t quote me but I think he added rake to the prop.

These prop guys if know you’re rpm and how your boat is riding they know what to do to a prop if it’s in their whelm to even fix.

the place I used was boat city props in okc. There are other good ones like Steve’s down by Tyler Tex. If you listen to bass talk live Frank Scalish recommends another group in Ohio that is suppose to be legit.

8. Banned
    I don't have this boat but I know what it's like to dial in a boat. Sounds like your set up can benefit from a jackplate and different prop. I would add 6" jp and 21p tempest plus. Dial the boat in with 2 guys in the rig. Once you get prop to pad set move to the prop and adjust the vent plugs. You are going to need an accurate rpm readout tho. I'm running a glass 118 ranger with Yamaha 150 and I went from not getting on plate with just me to popping on plate with 2 guys and flying out of the hole solo. Good luck with set up... remember it's gonna take some time, I spent 6 hrs last spring at the lake adjusting, must have pulled boat out 7 times.

9. Member
    I was experiencing the same exact problem before my hull cracked. The weird thing is it just started right at the beginning of the season and my boat ran fine the whole year before. I have 198p, 150 pro xs 4 stroke, 2 8’ Blades and a 4” atlas, running a 23 tempest. My dealer couldn’t figure it out.

10. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar

Are you starting out of the hole trimmed fully down, then gradually trimming up after she shoots out of the hole and you are running? Are you taking on any water that is remaining in the hull?

This is so atypical of the 198p hull... she should come out of the hole like a rockot and with gradual trim just stay right on plane
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

11. Member
    I would really look at the hull with a straight edge like a yardstick and see if it has a hook in it. I think they had a problem with a few hulls and I believe they even replaced a few of them. Try to find another one and compare yours side by side. It does not take much of a hook on the running surface to create an issue. It could be that when the area with a problem lifts out of the water, it starts running like it should.

If there is any way to find another one you can meet up with, get them side by side and compare the running surface hull contour.
    RT188
    I LIKE boats...BUT I LOVE PLANES
    Oh yeah.... I love the RT188 too.

12. Member
    Hey bud I made an account just for this

I have a Ranger 198p with 150 pro xs 2 stroke

i am a new owner and have only had this boat out about 15 times

I had a planning issue yesterday and after a couple of days the issues corrected itself

for me the issues was having a full tank of gas. I typically run 3/4 full and I had no problems planning. The day I filled the boat all the way up, I had plaining issues all day

went out today after I burned some more gas and got on plane just fine

hope this helps

if anyone else experienced something similar please post - thanks

i also think this could effect your speed issues, if your boat doesn’t get on plane you will never reach peak speeds
    Last edited by TeamChubbyChasers; 04-14-2021 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Addressing 48mph