Does the new 12" HDS live need a Point-1 GPS antenna

Just ordered 2 Live units and my question is did Lowrance sneak in the technology of what a Point-1 does? If not I need to purchased one. That little puck is great on my other HDS units.

Regards,
    Brian

2. Member
    Yup you need it if they can get a few hundred more dollars out of you they will.

3. Member
    A heading sensor cannot be incorporated into a head unit. It would limit mounting options to only facing straight ahead.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

4. Member
    It needs the Point-1 for heading only as the units do have GPS built in.

5. Member
    I installed my AT last week. You can configure the source for the GPS source. The Point 1 is an option... not a requirement.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Dearwester View Post
    I installed my AT last week. You can configure the source for the GPS source. The Point 1 is an option... not a requirement.
    Point 1 is an option for GPS. It is a requirement if you want a heading sensor and do not want you map to spin while stationary.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian.Trotter View Post
    That little puck is great on my other HDS units.
    Do you not still have the point 1 puck? If so then all you do is connect your new live units up to the same network and nema you have for your old units and you're good to go. Or should be at least.

8. Banned
    Does an Xi5 with Pinpoint GPS/Lowrance head unit serve the function of a heading sensor?

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by danieljanse View Post
    Does an Xi5 with Pinpoint GPS/Lowrance head unit serve the function of a heading sensor?
    For the MG, yes. For any other unit/ device on the network, no.

10. Member
    Thanks for all the replys. I need my heading sensor to stay constant and not swing around contstantly when I cant see land.

11. Member
    Brian, would you mind sharing your opinion on the udgrade to the 12 lives? I have 9 & 12 gen 2 touches and now a ghost. I am about to pull the trigger on two 12 lives - i think. Just wanting to make sure the money is well worth the upgrades. Trying to think through Active Target next, do i need a nose cone 3 in 1 for my ghost, is the install pretty easy, what all do i need, etc.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigzz4344 View Post
    Brian, would you mind sharing your opinion on the udgrade to the 12 lives? I have 9 & 12 gen 2 touches and now a ghost. I am about to pull the trigger on two 12 lives - i think. Just wanting to make sure the money is well worth the upgrades. Trying to think through Active Target next, do i need a nose cone 3 in 1 for my ghost, is the install pretty easy, what all do i need, etc.
    It'll be a night and day different between your Gen2's. The HDS Live 9 alone is way faster than your Gen 2 12", and the Live 9's resolution is higher than your current 9.

Now if you were upgrading to two Live 12's, you're getting support for Active Target, you're getting more quicker response times in menus, and mapping, and all that. Just all around nicer units.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by umdivx View Post
    It'll be a night and day different between your Gen2's. The HDS Live 9 alone is way faster than your Gen 2 12", and the Live 9's resolution is higher than your current 9.

Now if you were upgrading to two Live 12's, you're getting support for Active Target, you're getting more quicker response times in menus, and mapping, and all that. Just all around nicer units.
    And the antiglare screen on the LIVEs allow you to view the screen with polarized sunglasses from any angle; way better than your Gen2's. So many more features and faster processor speed.
    ciao,
    Marc