Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How was your duck season?

Here in NC, ours was pretty bad. Lack of any sort of weather to push them down meant most of what we saw was local wood ducks. And now we finally have the snow up north of us. Maybe it will push some down and I take take a friends kid out on youth day.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

2. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    My son's group limited out this morning, he killed a banded black mallard. They have done better on Geese than ducks this year. Limiting out on like 9 out of 10 trips this year. They did zero the other trip. For the first time in 10 years I didn't hunt them.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

3. Member
    The worst, by far, in my 59 years of hunting them.

Have heard from my duck hunting buddies in Arkansas and Texas that this year sucked bad.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

Only wood ducks! I have never seen a wood duck during the season and am convinced every one I have seen was poached. That being said we didn't get snow till this week and our season has been over for months but it was a bit off and the geese basically skipped over us this year.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Only wood ducks! I have never seen a wood duck during the season and am convinced every one I have seen was poached. That being said we didn't get snow till this week and our season has been over for months but it was a bit off and the geese basically skipped over us this year.
    Interesting and disappointing. We were thinking about heading to ND in October next year.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    Interesting and disappointing. We were thinking about heading to ND in October next year.
    ND probably has some of the best duck hunting In America. I wouldn't let one sub par report slow you down. Hell my sub par is probably 10x better than others great reports. Ha. Just no wood ducks, Thats true.

8. Member
    Like I posted on another forum, this is the first year since 1985 I did not buy a federal stamp. That should tell you something. I do not know if duck hunting will ever be back in Alabama.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

ND probably has some of the best duck hunting In America. I wouldn't let one sub par report slow you down. Hell my sub par is probably 10x better than others great reports. Ha. Just no wood ducks, Thats true.
    Ha ok cool, gotcha. I just retired and going to ND is high on my to do list. As far as woodies, that’s about 75% of what we shoot here so if you want to get those out of the way and leave the Greenheads for us, that would be great.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

And a question. Everyone says we should not bother with a guide as access is easy to get. Would you agree? Right now, we are looking to be west of Devils Lake.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

Quote Originally Posted by berudd View Post
    And a question. Everyone says we should not bother with a guide as access is easy to get. Would you agree? Right now, we are looking to be west of Devils Lake.
    Devils lake is 100 miles straight North of me, 10-40 west of me in a north south orientation is a major flyway for waterfowl. I would say if you have adequate time and knowledge in duck hunting you will get on them, now would a guide make that much faster and put you on birds every day, more than likely. We see more out of state hunters when season comes around than local license plates. So it can get busy if you happen to get in the wrong rhythm same as a popular lake.

12. Member
    This year...while it was different...was another great year! Got to shoot a ton of ducks...got to see some new ground...and got to visit some old ground! Including just returning yesterday from 9 days of hunting to close out the duck season in California. I was able to drag along one of my hunting partners for his bucket list trip to the West. He had hopes of killing a few birds for the wall, namely Cinnamon teal(which he's never seen), and a full winter Pintail, Shoveler, and Wigeon. It was mostly a success! The sprig and Wigeon were harder to come by than normal, and we simply didn't shoot enough to sort out the good ones. There's always next time. A few pics...Dave and a couple of his trophies, and his first Gambel's Quail.

Dave's first Cinnamon, and prime drake it was!

Hybrid Cinnamon/Bluewing Dave killed

Dave's first quail.

Damn good photos

14. Member
    Ours sucked. Wouldn’t of been bad if the woodducks didn’t move out early and nothing replaced them. We didn’t hunt much. But still managed to shoot very few In January . Ended with 59 ducks 2 geese. I killed a banded black bellied whistle duck (west wago, Louisiana) here on opening morning. He is headed to the taxidermist.
    RANGER BOATS

I shot 2 ducks. Had the opportunity to shoot 2 others, but had some poor shooting. I only got to go one time with the pandemic and how MDC did the waterfowl draws this year. So I can't complain too much.

16. Member
    Here in Central TX it has been bad the last several years. I've hunted 35 years, last year and this year were the worst ever. We had much better luck when the limit was only three ducks many many years ago. Don't know if I'll purchase a duck stamp or hunt next year.

17. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    First year since 1973 I didn't buy a stamp
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

18. Member
    I've hunted those birds for 63 years and this was he worst ever. Didn't get enough for a big gumbo, but took a grandson on his first hunt, so that was the season highlight. Can't wait until next year!

I live about 5 miles south of Claypool Hunting Preserve in NE Arkansas, and everybody around here is bemoaning the horrible duck season. The flyways started to shift about 10 years ago and haven’t changed back yet. There were even fewer snow geese this year than in years past.... Everybody around here talks about “Remember When” moments!

See ya

20. Member
    Slow for me too and I Mainly waterfowl hunt in NE Arkansas. Only hunted once in Southern Illinois and it sucked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast