PP cold weather/Firmware Update Issue

Hey all,
    I am purchasing new to me dual 2012 8' Blades with CM01 pump. They function fine but after sitting the lights blink red and remotes wont work. Buttons on pumps work fine and after cycling a couple times lights blink green again and remotes work. I'm in MN and the blades are in my unheated garage. From what I can gather online is they don't like cold and you can update the firmware to remove the cold weather setting. I also understand Blades that old must be updated with Android OS. I have tried several devices and all of them will identify the poles through bluetooth, but when I hit connect in the app the app crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app. I have power cycled the poles. I have run them a couple times just to get the light to blink green. No matter what I do the app crashes. My buddy updated his 2013 Blades with one of the same devices with no issues. Anyone have any ideas? I think circuit board but what are the odds both poles boards are malfunctioning the same exact way the same exact time. Is there a resolution to this problem or can anyone give me some confidence that once it warms up it will be a non-issue. I really just want to make sure they will work before ordering adapter plates and mounting them to the boat. Thanks for any help/insight!

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Whats voltage on battery your using?

3. Member
    Battery is solid, I took it to Autozone and had them run all their tests so I could eliminate that from the equation.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvogel13@gmail.com View Post
    Battery is solid, I took it to Autozone and had them run all their tests so I could eliminate that from the equation.
    red blink is usually low voltage situation. 8 degrees here today turned mine on blink green no issue. I personally havent heard of cold weather issue. But maybe Rich will chime in.. unfamiliar with a "cold weather setting" . Trying run app on android or i phone? Early models of 1.0 needed the ios module wasnt built into board.

5. Member
    Ran on android devices. They blink green after I run a few cycles and when the remotes start working. Then after sitting idle for awhile they flip back red and no more remote function. I should clarify its only the down on the remote that doesn't work, up still works. It's so bizarre and even more bizarre that both are doing exactly the same thing consistently. I've read online about the cold temp probably.

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvogel13@gmail.com View Post
    Ran on android devices. They blink green after I run a few cycles and when the remotes start working. Then after sitting idle for awhile they flip back red and no more remote function. I should clarify its only the down on the remote that doesn't work, up still works. It's so bizarre and even more bizarre that both are doing exactly the same thing consistently. I've read online about the cold temp probably.
    how cold is it? like I said i cycled mine after you said that at 8 degrees just to see and no issue. dont usually mess with mine from December to April so had never tried it.

7. Member
    I'm similar, been around 0-30 every day here. If you've ever had an update you wouldn't have the problem from my understanding. Here's where I found that info.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=450224

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Matt - You are correct, in cold temperatures the DOWN operation is limited until ambient temperature is above the threshold. Simply holding the UP button for 10 seconds or so will warm them up enough to allow for UP and DOWN operation. This was a safety feature that we improved on later firmware versions. The latest cold weather operation is to simply limit RPM and slow the pump down until the pumps warm up allowing for proper operation. Usually a few up and down cycles do the trick.

As for updating them, have you tried only connecting to one pump at a time? Do you have the latest version of the app installed? I would also suggest trying another device. If all of this fails, we have options such as sending us your boards and we can update or repair them and send them back or a direct board swap if needed. Feel free to call us and we'd be glad to walk you through the connection steps to make sure nothing is getting missed. 813-689-9932 opt 2 for Support.

9. Member
    That is great to hear about warming them up for 10 seconds or so. I probably won't go through the trouble of sending in to update if that's a workaround. I tried 3 different android devices all with the same result. Tried one at a time, both, uninstall, reinstall, power cycle the pumps, everything under the sun and still crashed the app. Do you happen to know at what temp approximately that the safety feature kicks in?

10. BBC SPONSOR
    I believe it was originally set to 32F. Keep in mind that is at the sensor on the board in the pump so surrounding temp could be less or more given the circumstances.

Hmm. I swear I asked about this a year or three ago and no one knew anything about running slow on purpose... anyways good to know especially since I never looked into potential issues as advertised haha
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

12. Member
    I have a set of 2012 poles too. I have tried to update mine many times and gave up. Then I had a board go bad and power pole sent me a replacement. The new one was noticeably different than the original and was able to update the new board but not the old one. The work around with holding the up button on the pump does work. I usually have to do it a few times each spring and fall here in Wisconsin.