Jack plate, or No For 285 XL?

Hi all, New to the forum, and curious if you all might have some recommendations for me. I have an ‘08 285XL with an Etec 150 HO, and have been thinking about remounting my motor with a jack plate as I currently do not have one. Worth it, or no? Hydraulic, or manual? How much setback, etc, etc?

Thank you in advance!

A4FB5A13-9288-41CB-AFEB-CD722A38CD54.jpeg

2. Member
    Although not necessary a jack plate will make it handle a lot better & more efficiently all the way around. Stratos would warranty them with up to an 8" plate. Hydraulic would be nice, but unless you're using it to squeeze every mph out of it or trying to get on place in extremely shallow water it's not necessary. I've bought & installed several 6" Vance Manufacturing manual plates & they've been good quality plates & also the most affordable one on the market too. Check them out. If ordering one get the install kit too & you'll be good to go. Personally i'd want one on any boat big enough for one myself because to me being able able to fine tune the setup is well worth it in my opinion.

3. Member
    a must, have even if it is a manual adjust, in my opinion!
    Last edited by mactlman; 02-01-2021 at 07:46 AM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    Although not necessary a jack plate will make it handle a lot better & more efficiently all the way around. Stratos would warranty them with up to an 8" plate. Hydraulic would be nice, but unless you're using it to squeeze every mph out of it or trying to get on place in extremely shallow water it's not necessary. I've bought & installed several 6" Vance Manufacturing manual plates & they've been good quality plates & also the most affordable one on the market too. Check them out. If ordering one get the install kit too & you'll be good to go. Personally i'd want one on any boat big enough for one myself because to me being able able to fine tune the setup is well worth it in my opinion.
    Thank you very much for your reply! In your experience, would you recommend a 6” or 8” setback for a rig like mine? I’m drawn to the 6” but don’t really have much basis for that. Thanks again!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    a must have even in it is a manual adjust in my opinion!
    Good to know, thanks! Do you have a recommendations for plates you have experience with?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Draht View Post
    Good to know, thanks! Do you have a recommendations for plates you have experience with?
    slidemaster for manual adj bobs or tm atlas for hydraulic
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

7. Member
    Thank you very much for your reply! In your experience, would you recommend a 6” or 8” setback for a rig like mine? I’m drawn to the 6” but don’t really have much basis for that. Thanks again!
    Either will work fine. I've always had 8 inchers on my stratos boats, but had different brands of boats with a 6 incher & have plenty of time in stratos' with 6 inch plates on buddys boats. Only difference i see is an 8 just eases up on pad where a 6 can sort of feel like it pops up on pad & the 8 is a little smoother coming off plane & doesn't feel like it's catching water as it sets down. A 6 works fine though. By the way i had a new 2003 185 javelin series & a new 2004 285 magnum & now have a 2003 18 XL with a 8 inch plate that's highly used.

8. Member
    go with a 6 -- 8 likely too much for smaller engines plus cable length comes into play also?
    MAGA

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    go with a 6 -- 8 likely too much for smaller engines plus cable length comes into play also?
    Actually the 8" performs really good with a 150 , but a 6" Vance like i mentioned is an excellent plate & a very good value that performs great too so i'd go with it if i were him.

10. Member
    Thanks very much for the suggestions! I do think I have plenty of cable length for either a 6" or 8" plate, which is really nice to have the flexibility.

Another question.. I currently have Talons mounted with the sandwich style mount between transom and motor. Do I need to swap those out for a Jack plate mount, or do I get a 6" plate while still utilizing the sandwich mount between plate and transom to essentially make it a 7" setback? I have a feeling I know the answer, but very curious to get your input on that.

I'm guessing it would be wise to eliminate that extra part between plate and transom by going with the plate mount.

11. Member
    Thanks very much for the suggestions! I do think I have plenty of cable length for either a 6" or 8" plate, which is really nice to have the flexibility.

Another question.. I currently have Talons mounted with the sandwich style mount between transom and motor. Do I need to swap those out for a Jack plate mount, or do I get a 6" plate while still utilizing the sandwich mount between plate and transom to essentially make it a 7" setback? I have a feeling I know the answer, but very curious to get your input on that.

I'm guessing it would be wise to eliminate that extra part between plate and transom by going with the plate mount.
    sandwich should work or can mount directly to jack plate (all the news ones comes pre drilled usually)
    MAGA

12. Member
    Wanted to thank everyone for the input. I decided to go with an 8” Seastar hydraulic plate. Have to say, it’s an awesome plate thus far!

13. Member