Banned

Trying the new Dobyns Sierra Panfish model....

Just ordered the 741sf Sierra Panfish model. Looking to use it for long casting using slip bobbers, or just casting, jigs from 1/6 - 3/32 oz jigheads for crappie. Maybe even try it for a float'n'jig, and hair jigs for smallies!
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 01-30-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Great Goodly Moogly, that is one expensive rod! I would thing a TFO Fly Rod would serve you well and be a duel purpose rod. But Enjoy!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Great Goodly Moogly, that is one expensive rod! I would thing a TFO Fly Rod would serve you well and be a duel purpose rod. But Enjoy!
    "one expensive rod"???.............$128 after 20% off sale.

When I did a search, it showed it at $350.
    https://dobynsrods.com/product/dx-741sf/
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    When I did a search, it showed it at $350.
    https://dobynsrods.com/product/dx-741sf/

Would never buy a dx for crappie!
    This is the new Sierra "trout/panfish" series spinning rods.
    https://dobynsrods.com/the-dobyns-si...anfish-series/

6. Banned
    Just received my Dobyns Sierra STP 741SF trout/panfish model.
    I was hoping it would not be too "whippy" in action/power, that's why I choose the 1 power over the 0 power. It's not! It has a nice soft tip (diameter of first 12" or so of tip is thin diameter! But Dobyns states that that tip section is actually solid graphite, not hollow, I hope so!) The rods backbone starts about 1/3 of the way down. "Somewhat" moderate in that first 1/3 section, but not really, I would call the first 1/3 section fast/moderate action. and it goes into a faster action/backbone from there down. I think it is going to be an awesome rod for baits from 1/16-1/8 oz. This rod would really make a great light hair jig rod, for jigs up to 1/8 oz or maybe a little heavier. I can't wait to fish it. Mainly got it for fishing for crappie, casting, and slip float, but I can see me trying this out with lighter hair jigs, float'n'jig, and other light stuff that you need a longer rod for casting distance. This rod may be labeled as a "trout/panfish rod", but I guarantee it can be much more than that! This is going to be a FUN rod to fish!
    Picture below shows how thin diameter the tip section is, comparing it to a Kaden 712sf tip. East to tell which one is the 741sf.
    (Just noticed stuff on 741 tip that looked like glue in closeup of picture, but checked, and that was lint)

20210205_170657.jpg
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 02-06-2021 at 12:32 PM.

7. Member
    Sounds like I would prefer the 0.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    Sounds like I would prefer the 0.
    I'd rather have a "tad" too much power, than not enough, especially when using it for what I'm going to use it for. slip floats, and casting for crappie, and some perch up on Erie. Glad I didn't go with the "0" power.

Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    I'd rather have a "tad" too much power, than not enough, especially when using it for what I'm going to use it for. slip floats, and casting for crappie, and some perch up on Erie. Glad I didn't go with the "0" power.
    Are you going to use braid with a leader? I'm looking for something like that rod myself for throwing 1/16 oz stuff.

10. Member
    I think I found my new high end panfish rod this weekend. Was in a tackle shop and found the Daiwa Kage Ultralights, I am gonna pick up the 6 footer for pitching jigs with plastics. It is my primary method of fishing crappies in the spring and I do a lot of stuff around docks. Playing with it in the store it had a nice crispy action with the tip being nice and soft for keeping fish pinned. They come in right around 200 bucks and a couple years ago I would have never considered spending that much on a crappie rod but I have a crappie rod locked in my hand for about 2 months of the year so I wanna play with something nice.

11. Member
    On sale now at Sportsmans Outfitters.