Tampa Flats Fishing end of March

I'll admit, this is a scary board to enter as a non-Resident, but here goes...

I'm fishing the flats with Capt Will Burbach end of March. I'm sure he'll put me on fish and we'll have a great time. I'd really like to get some snook on topwater, not excited about fishing shiners other than getting my son on some fish. That said, any suggestions from the locals on things to try or bring? Happy to take direction of the guide, but leaving a bass boat full of gear at home makes me want to bring something...
    2018 Bass Cat Sabre, 150 HP Pro XS, Helix 10s

2. Member
    First off... DO NOT let some of these entitled guys scare you off! Some people just can't get past the fact that they don't live in the "good ole days" anymore, and that fishing isn't the same ANYWHERE like it used to be.
    Snook will hit MANY bass lures, and some of my favorites are jerkbaits, traps, and surface "darting" baits. They tend to like the bait moving a little faster than bass do...just vary it up till you find what works. Good luck and have fun!
    BOB GASKINS TARPON SPRINGS,FL
    07 TR186 150 OPTI

3. Member
    Fluke style baits on a 1/4 oz jig head. He's probably going to try to get you some " white bait" ( think shiners) , don't knock em , it's alot of fun . When in Rome
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbraq View Post
    I'll admit, this is a scary board to enter as a non-Resident, but here goes...

I'm fishing the flats with Capt Will Burbach end of March. I'm sure he'll put me on fish and we'll have a great time. I'd really like to get some snook on topwater, not excited about fishing shiners other than getting my son on some fish. That said, any suggestions from the locals on things to try or bring? Happy to take direction of the guide, but leaving a bass boat full of gear at home makes me want to bring something...

Rapala Skitterwalk on 50# braid, and Yozuri Crystal Minnow in Silver/Black on flouro.

5. Member
    can you bring your boat down?
    the hills river is actually a very good fishery as well as the bypass canal.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

6. Member
    Back quit a few years ago, this was my favorite. We also used them in different colors, along with the Mirror Lure Jerk Baits,
    Red Head/White body -Red Head/ Yellow Body, all were very successful. I have wondered since I first saw one how a Whopper Plopper would do. We used to fish the back waters in Chokoloskee but I'm sure the flats Snook would hit them also..Good luck on your trip
    20200705_171343.jpg

7. Member
    If you are fishing with a guide he will have everything you will need to get on the fish. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

8. Member
    Thanks, everyone for the ideas and input

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM64 View Post
    Rapala Skitterwalk on 50# braid, and Yozuri Crystal Minnow in Silver/Black on flouro.
    No, unfortunately not this time. I'd live to sometime though

10. Member
    50lb braid is a terrible idea for snook.

Will is a good guide and will have everything you need to have a fun trip. You're paying him to handle all of that, not to help him.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

11. Member
    [QUOTE=linesider 159;11652052]50lb braid is a terrible idea for snook.

How do you slow or stop a 20+# snook that is heading for a bad place then?

By the way, skitterwalk is a topwater.

12. Member
    On this coast, you will find yourself using 15-20lb braid, MAYBE 30 if you are fishing bridges and docks for big snook. Most of the time on the flats you are using 10lb braid with some preferring 15, I do a lot of redfish and throw 8lb braid but that is only for long casts and spooky fish, it wouldnt end well fishing structure.

20-30lb flouro for average snook, 40 if they arent spooky and are big girls.
    2007 Sterling 22xs-Yamaha 250-Dual 10 foot blades-Ipilot-Bobs Jack plate-HDS 8 (SOLD)
    2016 Sterling 220XS: (SOLD)
    2008 SCB Topcat 250 XS (SOLD)
    Current:
    2014 SCB Stingray Sport Merc 300XS
    2018 ES Custom Revolution 25 Merc 400R

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I stick with 20lb power pro and 20-40lb leaders depending on the structure. A 7’6” redbone with a 3000 Daiwa Tierra can cast any jig, topwater or any other lure a mile. This has been my snook, trout, red set up since the 90s.

He’s a great guide and you will be on fish, as long as we start warming up! Our snook aren’t used to this many nights in the 30s!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Member
    If it's convenient I would bring one of your bass rod with you and some tackle. It there is a favorite top water lure you like for bass snook aren't all that different. Or buy some lures down here. If your going to be here for a few days there are some good places in the area to fish from shore. Sometimes I catch more from shore than I do in my boat. The snook might be moving into the passes and beaches by then and pompano might be around to.

15. Member