Maybe Ordering 921 soon, have questions

From what I’ve seen Elite prices out higher than XP but I thought the top cap was just the difference, anything else?

head spinning from electronics research. I’ve settled on 1 graph at console (12 or 15/16”) and 2 at the bow. I will want one small dedicated unit for panoptix/active target (8/9”) and a unit for 2D/mapping (12”). I’m slightly partial to lowrance for their 2D sonar and my luck with them over the years but i know HB mapping and side/down scan is good. Can anybody suggest a setup or share thoughts on certain units that are available today?

Also torn on trolling motor.. I have always run MG so the new Tour intrigues me but I was leaning 52” Ultrex. Not sure if I want integrated transducer, any thoughts on this? Does it make head leak? Better or worse quality imaging?

was going to get Power Pole 8’ Blades but interested in feedback on Raptors

any new boat options you wish you got or wish you didn’t get?

2. Member
    Just order a 921 Elite. It's a mountain of research, so I'll tell you where I landed. The Elite box layout suited me better, that was more important to me than the low gunnels, but I like those too. One thing I wanted was center locker rod storage for treble hook baits. The only reason I looked at other brands is because I hated the carpeted rod lockers. But Phoenix builds the best boat imo, so I looked past that.

As for graphs, I did HB/Lowrance at console and bow. That gave me best off all worlds (HB imaging/360 Lowrance Mapping/DI/AT), partner can see both 360 and AT at console. One more unit, but what's $3K once you start down this road lol?

TM, I went with Ultrex. I've had one and never had a problem, plus the dealer said that MK/HB gives more flexibility than the Lowrance. Don't know if it's true, and I wanted the Ghost...but I do trust the Ultrex.

Went with 10' Power Poles. Like the Ultrex, I've had poles and trust them. Their customer service is best I've seen in any industry, so that was the tiebreaker.

As for other options, I got SeaDek, lithiums, Charge, deck lights, Loc-R-Bar, radio, rod storage and tackle storage. Paint over Gatorhyde, trailer shocks as well. All of which were important to me. A new boat is an insane amount of money, but I did not want to be tinkering after it was built at the factory.

Congrats. Get what you want...and enjoy it!

3. Member
    appreciate the response.

also, does anyone know how long it should take to get a price from a dealer? I contacted 1 on Monday and gave them an over the phone but they haven't gotten back to me at all yet.

4. Member
    Pick the deck layout you like. I like 2 full size rod lockers, so the XP was for me. I too am partial to Lowrance, so I went with The Ghost TM. No problems so far. The rest is a matter of how much you want to spend.

5. Moderator
    My 2 cents is that you may want to consider a change on the bow...If you are serious about live sonar, I would consider making it the 12", and getting a 9/10 for mapping, 2D, up front. Something to consider is that the "live sonar" (at least LiveScope) provides the best down sonar, also...I barely even turn my front Helix 10 on anymore (but I'm not using mapping much). For the record, I am running 2 Helix 10s (front and back) and a 126 Garmin w/ LS up front, all on a 921 Pro XP. Shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions-I'll help as much as I can
    Steve

6. Member
    On the bow graphs get as big as you can afford for 360/livescope. I have two 12” graphs on the bow. I went with one 15” solix at the console and regret it. I really wish I would went with two 12” graphs at the console. Also coming from Lowrance for a long time I thought I wanted touch screen. But really wish I would have went two helix 12” instead of 1 solix 15”.

7. Member
    Also the dealer I went through gave me a quote the same day.

8. Member
    Looks like the website has been updated and the ProXP center compartment pic looks different than the angled 3700 storage I saw previously. Is this the new layout?

Is it suggested to upgrade to 4 group 31 batteries? What charger should I go with? I’m thinking the 4x15 but since the options page is gone I’d take a recommendation or two.

9. Member
    My thoughts...

1. If all you do is fish structure on big water get the 21 PHX as that's what it was designed for. If all you do is fish shallow (flip, pitch, target cast), get the 921 Elite, as that is what it was designed for. Otherwise pick the deck layout you like best.

2. I'd go with the trolling motor I trust, an Ultrex in my case.

3. If you are ordering a new 21' boat, be sure to get a Hydraulic Jack Plate (Atlas or Bob's, both are good IMHO).

4. Why lead batteries? I don't have them, but if I was spending that much money on a new boat, I would definitely get lithium.

5. Can't help on electronics... I keep it relatively simple with a Helix 12 at console and bow and a 360 unit on the TM.

6. I saw the Raptor for the first time last summer. Very impressive. I've had multiple different power poles and good luck with all of them. Customer Service is AWESOME. That being said, I've needed their customer service on multiple occasions so I would take a serious look at the Raptor, particularly with HB electronics.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sofakingbigbass View Post
    appreciate the response.

also, does anyone know how long it should take to get a price from a dealer? I contacted 1 on Monday and gave them an over the phone but they haven't gotten back to me at all yet.
    Once I drove and decided on my model of boat, I got quote the same day. You should try Wieda's. If distance is not an issue, contact David Howell at Toho Marine. He was awesome to work with, tell him Adam (921 Elite on order) sent you.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Just order a 921 Elite. It's a mountain of research, so I'll tell you where I landed. The Elite box layout suited me better, that was more important to me than the low gunnels, but I like those too. One thing I wanted was center locker rod storage for treble hook baits. The only reason I looked at other brands is because I hated the carpeted rod lockers. But Phoenix builds the best boat imo, so I looked past that.

As for graphs, I did HB/Lowrance at console and bow. That gave me best off all worlds (HB imaging/360 Lowrance Mapping/DI/AT), partner can see both 360 and AT at console. One more unit, but what's $3K once you start down this road lol?

TM, I went with Ultrex. I've had one and never had a problem, plus the dealer said that MK/HB gives more flexibility than the Lowrance. Don't know if it's true, and I wanted the Ghost...but I do trust the Ultrex.

Went with 10' Power Poles. Like the Ultrex, I've had poles and trust them. Their customer service is best I've seen in any industry, so that was the tiebreaker.

As for other options, I got SeaDek, lithiums, Charge, deck lights, Loc-R-Bar, radio, rod storage and tackle storage. Paint over Gatorhyde, trailer shocks as well. All of which were important to me. A new boat is an insane amount of money, but I did not want to be tinkering after it was built at the factory.

Congrats. Get what you want...and enjoy it!

I will be going there soon to look and talk about a few boats, what was the lead time on your new boat?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjxds View Post
    I will be going there soon to look and talk about a few boats, what was the lead time on your new boat?
    8-10 weeks...I'm not sure if that'll happen with demand and covid. I'll just sit back and let them call me. The sooner you order, the sooner you'll get though. Can't say enough good things about Toho. I'm admittedly inexperienced with some of this stuff, and they helped me a lot. The service guys are awesome too. David, the owner Joe, the service guys, another sales guy, and their head mechanic all answered questions for me. Awesome group/family atmosphere.