Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Moderator
    I would think there would be an alternative or a better insurance to cover.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    My dogs eye drops cost about $20 average for each 5ml dropper bottle. The 3 different prescriptions last on an average about 2 weeks. so I'm about $120 in the hole each month with discount cards. Without, one of the meds is $96 per bottle.
    Don't calculate the cost of the flea product you put on your dog and compare it to the same active ingredient sold to a farmer for insect control. Same active ingredient, big difference in the price!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardnibbles View Post
    I know this sounds counter intuitive, but when getting a prescription filled, see how much it costs without insurance. Sometimes its much cheaper without insurance.

.................................................. .........

All of you may have already known this, but just in case.
    You are correct.

My GF has a prescription that costs her three times as much if she buys it with her insurance than it does if she just buys it outright.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardnibbles View Post
    I know this sounds counter intuitive, but when getting a prescription filled, see how much it costs without insurance. Sometimes its much cheaper without insurance.

If you ask the pharmacist, they aren't going to tell you due to agreements with the PBMs and healthplans, but get the pharmacy to actually ring up the price for the prescription without insurance. Sometimes the price without insurance will be cheaper out of pocket due to rebate agreements and 340B contracted pharmacies. For example, the pharmacy could charge $300 to the health plan for a drug that is only $50, and lets say you pay $200 out of pocket. The actual acquisition cost for the drug was only $50, but the pharmacy gets a dispensing fee, and the other is split between the PBM, wholesaler, health plan and manufacturer. If you purchase the medication without insurance, they aren't going to charge you $300, they may charge you much less because the health plan isn't involved, the PBM isn't involved...only the drug manufacturer and the probably the wholesaler, typically without rebates. This works best with 340B contracted pharmacies because of how the 340B program works.

This is going to vary with each drug because of drug rebates, relationships with PBMs, healthplans, wholesaler, and drug manufacturers.

You can search for a 340B contracted pharmacy here: https://340bopais.hrsa.gov/ContractPharmacySearch)

All of you may have already known this, but just in case.
    Thanks for the link!
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

My daughters MS medication is 4800.00 a week!

1600.00 per dose x 3 doses per week.

If I ever lose my insurance, it would be ugly...
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

6. Dogfish_Jones
    Sadly, I guess the only reason I am still working is because of my insurance. Our company pays my insurance 100% and it is a premium policy. When I had both my knees operated on all I paid for the entire procedure was $50. Tomorrow I go for my 5 year colonoscopy "yee haw!", all I pay for that is $30.
    Is universal healthcare the answer? I do not think so. I just think somewhere there has to be a lot of smarter people to figure out why we have to pay so much for so little.
    On a side note, I have to give my dog a pill once a day for her heart, I do not have any insurance on her, wish I did...but a 30 day supply for that pill is $121.00 every month for the rest of her life and she is only 6 years old. She is worth it...so I will keep doing it. Wonder if I can slip her in on my insurance policy??????????

7. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrlawler1 View Post
    Prescription meds are outrageous.. Some are.. The daily meds I take for migraines..about $2000 for a 30 supply...about $35 per pill and I take 2 every morning... ridiculous...kinda scared to know what they're doing to my brain but also kinda scared to find out what is deal with without em too... Before those meds the pain was more intense... It kinda helps with the edge... As does the Botox every 3 months which isn't cheap either..
    none my business, but old school fix was Valium, Have you ever tried that, Valium probably 20 bucks a month .
    Sorry for your headaches

8. HYDRA SPORT LS205 225HO JER-1 BIG BASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Don't calculate the cost of the flea product you put on your dog and compare it to the same active ingredient sold to a farmer for insect control. Same active ingredient, big difference in the price!!
    we use Walmart for our dog meds, and use Good RX coupons, cheap that way.

Not surprising to me. I take a medication to treat ITP, a blood disorder which prevents clotting. I recently called my pharmacy to schedule a delivery and was told I owed a copay. OK how much? $4,483. Luckily with the coupon it comes down to 25 a month.

10. Member
    Holy Moly Josephine! And here I thought $30,000 was a bit much for 2 bags of blood thinner. Wow!

You don't want to even think about nuclear medicine. My wife had a nuclear embolization on a tumor in her liver. $750,000 was the price tag for the procedure and medicine. That didn't include any peripheral charges. After the cancer came back, they had her on 2 different meds. One med was $50,000 and the other was $75,000 for a 30 day supply. The $75000 med was so new that the hospital's pharmacy didn't know what it was. I don't know the running total of her 2 year battle was but I'm guessing well north of 2 million. She had great insurance that covered everything. But she felt like the doctors took advantage of this fact and treated her like a guinea pig because insurance would pay for it. I don't believe this was true, but I do know she was just worn out from dealing with it constant procedures. Sorry for the venting.
    The best way to cheer yourself up is to cheer up someone else.

12. Member
    My wife is on the same eye drops. My insurance pays some so I only pay 180.00 out of pocket. I may check out some of the suggestions made here to see if I can decrease my out of pocket payments in the future.

13. Member
    2.5 ml eye drops for my glaucoma was just over 300$ for a month supply, roughly 454,000 per gallon. It cost to get old.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lockinload View Post
    I thought this thread was going to be a prediction on the price of gas in 6 months.
    Nah......it shouldn't take that long!

15. Member
    That's almost as much as the ink for my HP printer!

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    I can do you one better, the insulin i take called Humalog retails for between 200 to 350 for a single 10ml vial depending on where you buy it. That works out to $757000 to $1.3M a gallon depending on where you buy it.

Thank goodness for insurance.......
    Not according to my calculations....

Try buying insulin , its crazy high .

18. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishingram24 View Post
    2.5 ml eye drops for my glaucoma was just over 300$ for a month supply, roughly 454,000 per gallon. It cost to get old.
    Thats nuts.. I get a zipper for $220 for my anti-Glaucoma medicine.

19. Member
    No wonder the health care system is broke.

20. Member
    My son has a skin condition that made him look like he had leprosy. There was a medication that could help but would be 33K per year and we were denied for two years by insurance. Luckily we found a dermatologist that worked some magic and got the insurance to pay. I don't know who can afford some of these drugs! Crazy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast