Tracker Targa Fuel/Water Separator Mounting Location

I'm looking to install a F/W Separator on my new-to-me 2015 Tracker Targa V18. The unit calls to be instaled in a comparrtment free from any ignition source.

I'm a long-time inboard motor owner so very familiar with bilge blowers, etc to keep from blowing your boat up when starting the engine which is housed in the same "compartment" as the fuel tank. So I know that the engine (starter, alternator, ignition, etc.) are ignition sources. Since all of this resides outside with an outboard, that leaves the starting battery as the only electrical component on the bilge area. So would that be considered an "Ignition source?" My guess is no, since on the boat, the fuel tank is basically in the same compartment and there is no bilge blower to run before starting.

I know I'm over thinking this because I know, unlike starters, alternators and ignition systems, the battery does not produce any sparking under normal conditions. But I just want to be sure. Otherwise, the only other place to mount it would be in the splash-well - which would actually be easier anyhow.

Interested in your mounting location on a similar boat. Thanks!
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

2. Member
    I've been looking into this also. No, the starting battery is not an issue from what I've seen. While not specifically for a Targa there are some decent videos I've seen on youtube
    whatroads - A pun on the "information super highway"
    Tracker 190 TX
    90 hp Merc
    Fortrex 80 w/ 52" shaft

3. Member
    Thanks. I have watched a few of the vids. I'm glad you agree starting battery compartment is not an "ignition source", I agree. I ordered the OEM Merc filter recommended for my motor, so I'm going to check it out when it arrives and see what makes sense. Like I said previously, mounting in the splashwell is likely the easiest option since that is where the fuel hose is most accessible, AND it is not in any compartment. I just have to wait and see how big it is and what the inlet/outlet configuration is. I'll post an update.

4. Member
    Took me a while to get up the energy to install the Fuel/Water Seperator as I knew after mulling it over for a while that the only valid location was going to be a bear and included deck removal. (Manual specifically says to not mount in a location exposed to direct sunlight so under the deck was my only option.) The deck was not too bad, finding all of the screws in the carpet was the toughest part. I absolutely believe that tracker did not think about the possibility of removeng the deck in their design. If they changed just a couple design features it would have made the deck removal 100 times easier and would have no impact on quality, fit or looks. The rear deck goes underneath the carpeted side panels by a LOT making it too wide to just lift out - long story but you get point. I do want to add that I had to remove the deck only because I could not see what I was doing and I could not get two arms in to tighten bolts, that access panel hole is just too small - OR I'm too big.

This installation piont is almost directly above where the fuel line to the motor connects to the fuel tank. I removed the hose from the tank and ran that to the "out" side of the filter then ran a new piece of hose from the tank to the "In" side of the filter. Hardest part was getting the new hose on the barbed tank connector. I had very little leverage and could get only one arm in, but got it done. Shoulder is sore today.

I then ran the harness to the existing plug on the motor. My 150FS has the 6-pin connector for the harness that comes with the filter so that you will get a warning via SmartCraft (I use Vessel View Mobile) if there is water in the fuel. Ran that harness through the rigging tube and zip tied it all secure. The manual for the filter has very good instructions including how to bleed all the air out of the fuel system after installation.

The filter I was advised to purchase is made for the Mercury 75/80/90/115 and 150 Four Stroke. I know that there are versions of the 150 FS that are not recommended to add an external F/W seperating filter, mine is recommended. (Stop by the Four Stroke Forums with your serial number if you are unsure)

Mercury PN 8M0109543

I hope this helps someone else!

Capture1.JPGPXL_20210228_232502599.jpg

5. Banned
    Trying to figure out how you access that with the deck in place? Looks like a bear!

6. Member
    It's not that far in the compartment, I think the perspective in those photos in my post make it look deeper than it is - difficult to unstall, bolting it in, disconnecting and connecting fuel lines, etc. yes. Very easy reach to check the bowl or remove and install a new filter/check for leaks. Here are a couple photos with better perspective.

PXL_20210301_174142209.jpgPXL_20210301_172815898.jpg

7. Member
    Do the 4 strokes not have a factory fuel and water separator on the motor? My Optimax does.

8. Member
    Seems as if some do and some do not. According to the information I received over in the 4 stroke/Verado forum, my 150 based on serial number, is recommended by Mercury to have an external F/W separating filter. I did not ask the reason why some do and others do not. My 150 has only 1 filter on the motor, I know some others have 2. My motor has a harness specifically for a water in fuel sensor that is not hooked up to anything until i installed this filter with sensor. the sensor and wiring to hook to that harness is included in the filter kit. And as I said, it is "rocommended" not "required" which I am sure is why Tracker does not install it at the factory.

This is the quote form the 4Stroke/Verado moderator (Don) on this topic: "With the 150 Fourstroke, Mercury recommends a Water Separating Fuel Filter Kit WITH WATER IN FUEL SENSOR" If you have not been over to that forum and have a 4-stroke, I suggest you do as I believe Don is a wealth of very good and reliable information regarding all Mercury motors.

I went with what is recommended as I take my boat into the ocean and want every safeguard against engine failure possible. With 10% Ethanol fuel, the possibility of water getting into your fuel is real and this is just one precaution along with adding proper additives and keeping a FULL tank of fuel in between trips to reduce surface area in the tank for condensation to form.
    Last edited by JS!; 03-01-2021 at 11:40 PM.