GLS 10 Black Box power consumption?

Just finished installation of Garmin 8412, GLS 10 Box and LVS 32 Ducer. Question, does GLS 10 eat battery when 8412 is off or does 8412 "wake up" GLS 10 when powered up?

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

With a stand-alone LiveScope installation like yours, yes the GLS10 does get switched on and off by the MFD, but it does pull a trickle of current while in the “off” state when still connected to power but it's less than 20 mA. This is why switched power to the GLS10 box is recommended so that when the boat is trailered and stored, the box isn't continually drawing this trickle current.
    Garmin Pro Team

3. Member
    What type of switch is the best to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Driscoll View Post
    With a stand-alone LiveScope installation like yours, yes the GLS10 does get switched on and off by the MFD, but it does pull a trickle of current while in the “off” state when still connected to power but it's less than 20 mA. This is why switched power to the GLS10 box is recommended so that when the boat is trailered and stored, the box isn't continually drawing this trickle current.
    Thanks Todd. Had researched and couldn't find a definite answer. Rig is garage kept, I only live 1 1/2 miles from the ramp. Garmin is wired through Main Power Disconnect on Ranger. I always switch off when in the garage or trailering outta town. My concern is when I meet up with friends on the lake and have lunch, didn't want GLS 10 eating battery for an hour. 20 ma parasitic is OK. Thanks again.

2020 Ranger 521L Tour, 300 Mercury, 112 Minn Kota Ultrex
    3 12" Helix Units, Mega Si, Mega Di, Mega 360, Garmin 8412 W LiveScope mounted on Rite Hite Turret.

5. Member
    I have mine connected to directly to the battery with no switch, and haven't noticed any power draw. Tested it with a multi tester after a week of sitting and it was nothing significant. 12.8 down to 12.6
    Andy

2004 Pro Craft 192 SuperPro

I have mine on a 10amp switchable breaker .
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    I have mine on a 10amp switchable breaker .
    I am having trouble finding a 10 amp switchable breaker. Could you show what you are using?
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

8. Member
    I used this in a 30 amp on #10 awg wire. Feeds my circuit with black box and 3 Garmin Ultras.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/blu7181...ace-mount.html

Quote Originally Posted by Olebiker View Post
    I am having trouble finding a 10 amp switchable breaker. Could you show what you are using?
    When I put the ultrex on my ranger I couldn’t find 60 amp to fit in their spark aresstor cover . I took that housing and got a blue sea 10 amp and used it for my livescope A7BCA982-30FA-4A99-BEF0-8E85AA92CC0B.jpeg

I just pull the fuse when I'm done. Problem solved.

11. Member
    Mine is straight to power no switch have tested it many times it doesn't draw power had it tested professionally just to make sure.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aarchdale View Post
    I have mine connected to directly to the battery with no switch, and haven't noticed any power draw. Tested it with a multi tester after a week of sitting and it was nothing significant. 12.8 down to 12.6
    Although .2 does not sound like much its actually more than what most people will think, especially for just one week. Pending what type material the internals of your battery is made of 12.6 may be 90% charged. Losing 10% in one week is a decent size parasite draw in my opinion. Do a google search for fully charged marine battery voltage and make sure the chart you find list the specific battery type you have. There is a small difference in what's considered 100%, 75% or fully discharged between AGM, lead acid and Lithium. Granted the difference is small but .10 can be the difference between being 90% or 80% in some specific situations.

A good quality battery disconnect cost about $14 and is pretty easy to install. Here is a link to one that is overkill because it has way more power rating than you need but you could hook everything coming off you cranking battery to it if you chose to do so...https://www.amazon.com/Ampper-Batter...1952138&sr=8-4

13. Member
    If accessible you can just unplug the power cable from the black box or remove the fuse. Gives you less areas of potential problems down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by KRC18D View Post
    If accessible you can just unplug the power cable from the black box or remove the fuse. Gives you less areas of potential problems down the line.
    I found a separate switch on Amazon and will install that on the positive lead before a fuse.
    Sick, tired, hungry, broke, busted, disgusted, can't be trusted, been imposed on and won't fight

15. Member

Totally Kill the power

My advice kill the power to the whole boat including the outboard with a switch like this one. You will not be sorry you did.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1 question for those of you that have yours powered direct from battery. You do have that wire fused near the battery , correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    My advice kill the power to the whole boat including the outboard with a switch like this one. You will not be sorry you did.
    Absolutely!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,