Thread: Trailer locks

Trailer locks

I’m going to have to store my boat outside at the lake and was curious if any of the trailer locks actually work well? What do you all use to make sure someone can’t just back up and hook it up? Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    I have a Fort Knox lock on mine, it should hold up to a pry attack for a while but if anyone brings power tools your boat is gone.

Check out the post called trailer security at the boat ramp in the traiker section of the forum.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P

4. Banned
    This is the ONLY trailer lock that the LockPickingLawyer has said he'd consider using. Take that from someone that has picked, pried, cut, melted, shot their way in to 1000's of locks. And that it also took a special pick that he and another lock picker made.

Kind of expensive at $265. But, how much did your boat cost?

5. Member
    A lock will slow a trailer thief down. A really good lock will slow him/her down longer. I use a cheap one.

If this is a longer term storage like over the winter consider removing something like swing tongue or wheels. If weekend to weekend park a cheap clunker in front of it to block access. Remove trailer tag and just maybe law enforcement will notice if seen going down the road.

7. Member
    BRA 2 AMP Lock, well worth the money for the piece of mind.
    A dedicated thief will make of with your rig. They'll just hook the
    trailer chains to their truck and drag it off. Insurance a must for new
    bass boats.

As luck would have it, most of us have the UPF style hitch, so we would need the BRU2 @ $347 !!! I have a Hitch lock on mine, plus a chain lock, and just in case the thief brings his own chains, I have a 5/8" chain thru the wheels on both axles and over the frame !! SO, the thief is gonna have to work at it if he wants it !!! HOWEVER, I don't leave my boat parked in the open very often, LOL !!!

https://www.amplock.com/product/bru2/
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    As luck would have it, most of us have the UPF style hitch, so we would need the BRU2 @ $347 !!! I have a Hitch lock on mine, plus a chain lock, and just in case the thief brings his own chains, I have a 5/8" chain thru the wheels on both axles and over the frame !! SO, the thief is gonna have to work at it if he wants it !!! HOWEVER, I don't leave my boat parked in the open very often, LOL !!!

https://www.amplock.com/product/bru2/
    When I stored at an RV storage complex, I did several things. Standard receiver lock. Took the pin for the swing tongue with me. Locked the trailer tongue clasp. Heavy cable wrapped through a wheel and around the trailer frame. And a padlock on one of the ears where the removable pin goes. They would have had to pick or cut off 4 different locks, and that would take enough time that any thief who could get in, would be more likely to take the Axis wakeboat parked just across the way.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

10. Member
    ...... double post

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach185 View Post
    Check out the post called trailer security at the boat ramp in the traiker section of the forum.
    Will do, Thanks

12. Member
    Lots of good ideas.
    buying my first bass boat. Will be stored outside at the lake house. Plenty of others stored outside in the area and no trouble that I know of (knock on wood). Plenty of neighbors have waverunners/boats and golf carts outside year round.
    I don’t want to store outside but have no choice at this time. So I’ll add some extra measure of security.

13. Member
    Cheap way is run a chain thru the tires onto trailer frame and padlock, make it a shiny one so its noticed. Anything to slow down a thief will usually make them move on. My remote uhaul locations all utilize this method and it works well. But if they want it, they will take it. Gas siphoning and catalytic converters are my biggest issues.

14. Member
    Jack stands, High impact driver and take off the wheels. Pretty much the same cost as an amplock.

15. Member
    Thanks all. My biggest fear is probably just buying a nice boat and storing outdoors. I’m sure many do it but it’s a hang up for me.

16. Member
    My boats 14 years old and never seen the inside of a garage. I lock the pin and chain trailer to house.

17. Member
    If you have a folding trailer tongue you can remove the pin. I realize a determined thief could find something to replace it but it would be an unexpected problem that would stop most thieves.
    Chris

2020 Nitro Z19 Pro w/ 200 ProXS

18. Member
    Fold the tongue and chain it back with a good lock. Add a wheel boot. Amazon has a variety for sale. https://www.amazon.com/Hurbo-Adjusta...19476250&psc=1

That would slow or discourage a thief anywhere.
    CMSGT, USAF, Retired
    2021 Nitro Z19, Mercury 200 Pro XS 4 Stroke, SN 2B789775

Ultrex 80/45 24v, Helix 8 G3N SI+. Helix 10 G4N DI+, Helix 3GN DI

19. Member
    Now days they just still truck and trailer and boat damn thieves

Quote Originally Posted by HenryPF View Post
    Jack stands, High impact driver and take off the wheels. Pretty much the same cost as an amplock.
    +1. Cheap jack stands from harbor freight, wrap the Hubs with garbarge bags so it looks like you are working on it.
    2003 Stratos 185, Yamaha V150LTRB, Tempest Plus 25P