Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

93 stratos 285 cap removal

I’ve got everything disconnected and motor removed, next step is to pull cap so I can do some repair. Planning on pulling cap tomorrow any pointers for taken cap off transom?

Go slow...if it's being stubborn check splash well area. Good luck!
    1997 Charger 186 TF
    1997 Yamaha ProV 175

3. Member
    I’ve done research and I see a lot of people talking about having to cut some where near the transom! I just can’t see where I need to. Looks like the cap goes over transom and is sealed with sealant. I’ve removed all of it, along with rub rail and screws. Maybe I’m missing something just wanna be prepared thanks!

4. Member
    I went back and looked the splash well is glasses into the back of transom should I just cut it out from the back?

5. Member

6. Member
    Last edited by Jarratt08; 01-27-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Pics are upside down

7. Member
    Bud all the caps I have pulled the splash well is for lack of a better way of describing it, glued to the transom. All had a bedding compound filling and void between the transom and the splash well. I get tension on the cap using my overhead lift. Spread the lifting load out if you can by sliding a glued doubled piece of 2x4's under the cap in such a way it contacts as much area as possible. I use nylon lifting sling eyes over the 2x4 block center. If you hear what sounds like fiberglass tearing back where it's glued together the glue is pulling loose. It just takes patience. Also I have this Monster sized Wonder Bar that really has been the best pry bar for pulling caps. I work it all around the glue joint. Wooden wedges really help too. Don't crack your exterior gelcoat pounding one in. Use them to create tension everywhere you can.

8. Member
    I spent all day cutting around the splash well from the inside trying to get it to break loose! The front is good to go! So when you say slide the 2x4 would putting it under my battery compartment be a good area? I used cleats earlier today with my front end loader to lift up! All it did was lift up the whole boat!

9. Member
    Do you have movement all the way to the transom on the perimeter of the cap? If not there may be some tabbing you missed. A lot of manufacturers tab the cap in unlikely places. Good thing is if they were able to tab you will be able to cut free. Movement of the cap should be all the way to transom before attempting to pry free.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    Do you have movement all the way to the transom on the perimeter of the cap? If not there may be some tabbing you missed. A lot of manufacturers tab the cap in unlikely places. Good thing is if they were able to tab you will be able to cut free. Movement of the cap should be all the way to transom before attempting to pry free.
    Yes I have movement all the way till just about to the transom. When it curves to the back I have moved right about there. Then just a few inches past that it starts to get solid

11. Member

12. Member
    That’s about where the movement stops where I’m pointing to

13. Member
    I see, I usually will attack the seam, get the wedges or wonder bars in from underneath. Usually they are stuck between the splash well where the upper bolts went through and the transom filler core, the flat area. Who knows though, that boat may have been the last one of the day and the manufacturer had extra filler to make go away so they filled it up. I don't see any filler squeezed out anywhere. I will say it's better to fight, pry, skin your knuckles than cut the splash well. To re-glass the splash well back can be more of a PITA.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rojoguio View Post
    I see, I usually will attack the seam, get the wedges or wonder bars in from underneath. Usually they are stuck between the splash well where the upper bolts went through and the transom filler core, the flat area. Who knows though, that boat may have been the last one of the day and the manufacturer had extra filler to make go away so they filled it up. I don't see any filler squeezed out anywhere. I will say it's better to fight, pry, skin your knuckles than cut the splash well. To re-glass the splash well back can be more of a PITA.
    man I spent all day chiseling away all the glue is gone and I’m making no headway. It’s lifting the whole boat when I try to lift it. It’s not tabbed in any where I can see day light all the way to the transom

15. Member
    Check your PM

16. Member

17. Member
    Finally got the cap to break loose from transom!!! Tomorrow should be a productive day!!!

18. Member
    Hooray!!!!!!!

19. Member

20. Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast