Thread: VX 20 or VX 21

VX 20 or VX 21

I'm coming out of a Z521C and trying to decide between a 20 or 21. Anyone have a 20 and wish they would have went with the 21 or vice versa? Looks like the speeds are about the same between the 2 if I go with a 300 on the 21 and from what I can tell I'm either losing 5" of front deck going to the 20 or gaining 5" of deck with the 21 (based off measurements compared to my 521C). I like the extra box in front of the driver side console but wouldn't be a deal breaker to not have it. Any thoughts are welcome. TIA
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

2. Member
    I know after being in the VX20 (demo days) it would be all the boat I would need on our TVA lakes. I see you aren’t far from the Great Lakes, so you might need the VX21. We get big waves on Chickamauga Lake, but nothing like the waves the Great Lakes get. If you can pull it, and afford it, I would go with the bigger VX21. I’m afraid if you think you want that extra box in the VX21 now, it will haunt you every trip if you get the VX20 without that box. I know when I was deciding between the 1980 vs the 1880 I thought the cooler in front of the console was a must. I am so glad I made that decision. My fishing buddy and I drink so much water while fishing, and it’s nice to have them ice cold in the hot summers months. In your decision between VX20 or VX21 there is no way to lose with either boat.
    Last edited by Jimbug; 01-27-2021 at 04:59 PM.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    I know after being in the VX20 (demo days) it would be all the boat I would need on our TVA lakes. I see you aren’t far from the Great Lakes, so you might need the VX21. We get big waves on Chickamauga Lake, but nothing like the waves the Great Lakes get. If you can pull it, and afford it, I would go with the bigger VX21. I’m afraid if you think you want that extra box in the VX21 now, it will haunt you every trip if you get the VX20 without that box. JMHO. No way to lose with either boat.
    Thanks for the input Jim! You echoed exactly what my wife said about the box lol. I fish South more than north, Kentucky Lake, Pickwick ect. I've been in a 21 with the 300 and it was nice, just wish I could jump in a 20 to have it to compare. Thanks again for your thoughts!
    Money can't buy happiness but it can buy fishing baits and that's about the same thing

4. Member
    I came out of a Z520 into a VX20. At 1st I wanted the VX21, But once I spent some time at the dealer in one the VX21 too big for the lakes that I fish. The one thing that still amazes me about the VX20 & 21 is just how much bigger they feel than other similar sized boats.
    I had my Z520 full to the brim with tackle & stuff, all of that tackle & stuff fit in my VX20 back 2 compartments, now I have room for more stuff

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wdubuis View Post
    I came out of a Z520 into a VX20. At 1st I wanted the VX21, But once I spent some time at the dealer in one the VX21 too big for the lakes that I fish. The one thing that still amazes me about the VX20 & 21 is just how much bigger they feel than other similar sized boats.
    I had my Z520 full to the brim with tackle & stuff, all of that tackle & stuff fit in my VX20 back 2 compartments, now I have room for more stuff
    Good info Willie, thank you

6. Member
    I have had the VX 2o for about fourteen month now. Great boat and you would think that it is all you one might want! However, going to get a new one in fall of 2021 and considering the 21....so I know where you are coming from. I fished the boat from Hartwell to Lake Ontario this year. The VX 20 handled it all better than any boat I have owned. The only reason I am even contemplating the larger boat is the day box on the 21 you mentioned in your post and the thought of the extra foot in bad conditions in on big water. But, the truth is that 14 months in I have not encountered a situation where I wished I had the extra foot....so, maybe I am just amusing myself playing with the online build tool.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scgreg View Post
    I have had the VX 2o for about fourteen month now. Great boat and you would think that it is all you one might want! However, going to get a new one in fall of 2021 and considering the 21....so I know where you are coming from. I fished the boat from Hartwell to Lake Ontario this year. The VX 20 handled it all better than any boat I have owned. The only reason I am even contemplating the larger boat is the day box on the 21 you mentioned in your post and the thought of the extra foot in bad conditions in on big water. But, the truth is that 14 months in I have not encountered a situation where I wished I had the extra foot....so, maybe I am just amusing myself playing with the online build tool.
    Thanks Greg, you helped make my decision harder that’s good info to have, I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna go with VX21, I’m afraid if I don’t I’ll regret it and my wife will say I told you so every time she thinks about it Thanks for all the reply’s guys, appreciate ya!

8. Member
    If you have a place to park it, you don’t fish tournaments that don’t allow 300s, and buying a little more fuel doesn’t bother you. Then buy a 21. My previous boat was z520 and my vx 21 has empty compartments. Same crap the 520 was packed.

9. Member
    I would recommend putting 5 batteries, my agm starting battery doesn’t cut it with graphs, poles, livescope and live wells running. That extra battery really helps. The boat will run 69 no matter how much crap you put in it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Komatoz521 View Post
    Thanks Greg, you helped make my decision harder that’s good info to have, I’m pretty sure I’m just gonna go with VX21, I’m afraid if I don’t I’ll regret it and my wife will say I told you so every time she thinks about it Thanks for all the reply’s guys, appreciate ya!
    I think this is the right decision. I’ve been on Pickwick when I wish I had a 28’ boat LOL, so the extra length will help. Mostly though it’s what you preferred from the start, and we almost always know pretty quickly what we want. The money doesn’t really matter in the long run if you get what makes you enjoy the time you’re on the water. Vexus builds boats that help us enjoy our time on the water, and the Vexus team stands behind these boats.
    white Vexus AVX 1980 - white Evinrude G2 150hp HO

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent R View Post
    I would recommend putting 5 batteries, my agm starting battery doesn’t cut it with graphs, poles, livescope and live wells running. That extra battery really helps. The boat will run 69 no matter how much crap you put in it.

Thanks Trent! I’m going to run lithium trolling batteries and a lithium for all electronics on a power pole charge. I’ll just have to have a separate charger for the AGM cranking battery. I ran 2 lithiums for cranking/electronics on my 521 2 stroke and wish I could run that set up here too! Kinda a bummer having to use that AGM for the cranker

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbug View Post
    I think this is the right decision. I’ve been on Pickwick when I wish I had a 28’ boat LOL, so the extra length will help. Mostly though it’s what you preferred from the start, and we almost always know pretty quickly what we want. The money doesn’t really matter in the long run if you get what makes you enjoy the time you’re on the water. Vexus builds boats that help us enjoy our time on the water, and the Vexus team stands behind these boats.
    Yea Jim I believe your right, I’ve got a VX21 ordered...now the wait begins!

I came out of 19 foot platforms (my last 4 boats both Rangers and Phoenix) to the VX20. So to me it's like an air craft carrier front deck. Normally a centerline measurement on a boat does not really feel that way standing in it. But with the VX series and the front end design carrying the width forward, my 20' 11" boat feels like a 20' 11" boat standing in it. I cannot imagine the VX21 deck layout.
    2021 Vexus VX20, Yamaha 250 SHO

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorz View Post
    I came out of 19 foot platforms (my last 4 boats both Rangers and Phoenix) to the VX20. So to me it's like an air craft carrier front deck. Normally a centerline measurement on a boat does not really feel that way standing in it. But with the VX series and the front end design carrying the width forward, my 20' 11" boat feels like a 20' 11" boat standing in it. I cannot imagine the VX21 deck layout.
    Im coming out of a Z521 and standing in the VX20 it was noticeably smaller, not a bunch but I could ‘feel’ it. The bigger issue for me is the day box in front of the console