Add HP to a 2003 Mercury 225hp EFI?

I'm thinking of adding HP to a 2003 225hp EFI. Is it easy to make the 225 a 250hp?
    I'm just curious. Don't want to swap the engines if I can add an ECU or some performance upgrades.
    Thanks for any info.
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

2. Member
    the only thing that mtr needs is good set reeds and higher rev limit and some stickers, those are very strong 225 engines,what boat is it on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    the only thing that mtr needs is good set reeds and higher rev limit and some stickers, those are very strong 225 engines,what boat is it on
    Who is able to raise the rev limit on these later 555 style PCMs?

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Probably Nobody... as it's illegal and a violation of certain intellectual property rights (copyright).

Agree that reeds are a good idea.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    It's on a 03 Ranger 521VS

Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    2015 Skeeter ZX250 with 2015 SHO 250hp
    12" Helix MSI at console linked with
    9" Helix MDI at bow
    52" 36v Ultrex
    (sold and I miss it)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Z21 Tom View Post
    It's on a 03 Ranger 521VS
    What speeds are you getting with the 225 EFI? The best thing you could do is sell the EFI and buy a 250 Pro XS. Market is flooded with Pro xs 250's now.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Mercury 225 EFI / 250 EFI ....2003 yr time frame .
    Are these two engine blocks the same . Just the PCM or different , which make the extract HP ?

8. Black Hills Energy Collin C.'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trivialpursuits View Post
    Who is able to raise the rev limit on these later 555 style PCMs?
    Eric Simon flashed my 555 to raise the rev limiter on my 03 250efi, it was about 18 months ago. I think they have since stopped due to Merc mandates. I have used him 2 other times On an 250Xb and a 98 225efi with no issues.
    Bass Cat
    Eyra 300xs

9. Member
    What gains , did you get with the raise rev limiter on your 250 EFI . Don't want to rob his post . could you send in PM .
    thx

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    Mercury 225 EFI / 250 EFI ....2003 yr time frame .
    Are these two engine blocks the same . Just the PCM or different , which make the extract HP ?
    MERC shows diff p/n for blocks / sleeve part numbers are the same in a sleeve chart, cyl heads are the same , reed blocks are the same
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and provide the Required Info (serial number) with your post. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor