Linking the Helix 8 MSI G4 transducer to the Helix MDI G4 Bow unit

I have a Helix 8 MSI unit at my console and a Helix MDI unit at my bow, both are G4 networked together. I watched a video from Humminbird that showed how a guy was using the transducer from his SI Solex unit at the console to project on his bow Solex unit. He also had his 2D sonar on the console unit turned off and the unit was on Standby to conserve battery. My question is this possible with the Helix units and what is the process to make this happen. Thanks for a response!

When in Standby, sonar pinging is turned off no matter what model it is if the software is current. There is defective software that did not turn pinging off as it should- that was fixed.
    Standby should turn off backlighting, and sonar pinging, but GPS still works to share waypoints.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks for the reply Wayne. So I would have to turn off 2D sonar at my SI unit and leave it running to take advantage of being able to project the SI image on my DI unit at the Bow, is this correct?

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacBill View Post
    Thanks for the reply Wayne. So I would have to turn off 2D sonar at my SI unit and leave it running to take advantage of being able to project the SI image on my DI unit at the Bow, is this correct?
    When Sonar is turned off, no 2D, no SI, and no DI is pinged so it is impossible to share any of those to another unit. The unit functions as a Chart Plotter then.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    To see SI on the DI unit press the menu button twice to get to the Main Menu. From there you can find Network Sonar settings and choose the unit from which to get SI frequency. The SI unit must have sonar turned on in order to see SI on the DI unit.

Quote Originally Posted by PotomacBill View Post
    I have a Helix 8 MSI unit at my console and a Helix MDI unit at my bow, both are G4 networked together. I watched a video from Humminbird that showed how a guy was using the transducer from his SI Solex unit at the console to project on his bow Solex unit. He also had his 2D sonar on the console unit turned off and the unit was on Standby to conserve battery. My question is this possible with the Helix units and what is the process to make this happen. Thanks for a response!

6. Member
    Thanks guys for the help!

A SOLIX can turn backlighting off and still ping sonar/Imaging without going into the menu to reducing the backlighting setting.
    Basically it is backlighting on Standby and not sonar.
    Doing it that way backlighting is turned back on, the same as doing that with sonar by pushing the power button:

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Wayne: Which version of Helix software did not turn off pinging when in Standby?

Quote Originally Posted by kd... View Post
    Wayne: Which version of Helix software did not turn off pinging when in Standby?
    Do not remember, just the discussion about it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kd... View Post
    May depend on which model Helix you're referring to. There was a change to Gen1 models in Sep 2018 (Ver 1.83) but the error popped up again in later releases for newer models. Looks like it may have been corrected by version 2.28 for newer models.

Helix 10 standby mode - Page 2 (bbcboards.net)
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow