Thread: Couplers

Banned

Couplers

I had an 09 Ranger that I had to replace coupler on trailer. My 2016 is in shop waiting to get a new coupler replaced. Any of you having same problem? I keep my stuff in great shape.

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Moving parts wear out.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Moving parts wear out.
    No joke. So do you folks with Rangers replace couplers often?

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Not as a matter of course. I know that it does happen, but I also know a dozen Ranger owners locally [myself included] who’ve never had one replaced.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Banned
    Cost about 6 fitty just wondering if I am doing something wrong. Just for the record the tie down straps on back been replaced on both as well.

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bngolfen View Post
    Cost about 6 fitty just wondering if I am doing something wrong. Just for the record the tie down straps on back been replaced on both as well.
    $650 to replace a coupler? That would work out to about $400 labor for an hour’s work.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    Never had one quit functioning, and could have just bought the parts to repair, but I figured while I had it out I would just replace it. Usually the shock and spring would be bad not the whole coupler.

8. Banned
    I have to back boat slightly uphill for about 200 feet to park in my outbuilding. The coupler stays compressed should i chock wheels/hand brake and pull couple out to store? I just found it ironic that both my Rangers had same issue.

9. Member
    I have to back boat slightly uphill for about 200 feet to park in my outbuilding. The coupler stays compressed should i chock wheels/hand brake and pull couple out to store? I just found it ironic that both my Rangers had same issue.
    i always release the button on the bottom to take pressure off,(on the bottom of coupler there is a little lever just push it up) i was told that helps and i make sure my coupler is extended all way out when parked,put chulk in front of wheel and pull up a bit and it will extend out

10. Member
    Assuming the brake solenoid is working properly,there is no pressure on the brake system when the coupler is compressed,no need to pull it out. But if the little shock/dampener is working,it will push the coupler out once the trailer is removed from the vehicle.

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    That’s normal. There is no spring to extend it. Best practice is to pull the actuator forward for storage.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Banned
    I will pull forward from now on

Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i always release the button on the bottom to take pressure off,(on the bottom of coupler there is a little lever just push it up) i was told that helps and i make sure my coupler is extended all way out when parked,put chulk in front of wheel and pull up a bit and it will extend out
    Sam Wilson, the head of the old Ranger Trailer Dept., told us on a plant tour to ALWAYS do this ^^^ when unhooking from the trailer.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

14. Banned
    got new one on and pulled it out. will do from now on