Electric break controller vs surge breaks

My pickup has an electric break controller factory installed. My Phoenix has surge breaks. I believe all bass boats have surge breaks. Electric and water aren't a good combination.
    Tell me if I'm wrong on any of this. There is no need to have an electric break controller.
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

The factory Brake controller won’t be used / needed
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

3. Member
    Electric brake controller is for trailers with electric brakes such as a travel trailer . Does nothing when you are hooked up to surge brakes .

4. Member
    You can convert to Electric over hydraulic if you want, but for bass boat sized loads it is not needed.

As already stated the controller will not be needed with surge brakes.
    Most newer trucks that have a factory trailer package which includes the controller along with the 7 way and 4 way trailer plug, hook up camera, mine has a light check---will cycle through your different lights so you can check by yourself. Some have airbags and trailer cameras.
    Many travel trailers have electric brakes

6. Member
    Well, all my boat trailers have had hydraulic brakes. They also have all had issues. I am seriously considering electric brakes after all the bleeders snapped off.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Well, all my boat trailers have had hydraulic brakes. They also have all had issues. I am seriously considering electric brakes after all the bleeders snapped off.
    How or why did your bleeders snap off ?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    How or why did your bleeders snap off ?
    Loosening them. They didn't loosen.

Are you really willing to go back to drum brakes? When they come out with an electric disk system I will be the first to post a review. Had electric drum brakes on a boat trailer many years ago and never will again.

10. Member
    Had a Basscat with drum brakes, worked pretty well once you got them properly adjusted. A lot of parts compared to discs no doubt, a little more mechanical knowledge required.

Loosening them. They didn't loosen.
    Happens daily on vehicles. Good techs have tricks to get them loose without breaking them
    Last edited by 1BADAIR; 01-28-2021 at 03:09 PM.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    Happens daily on vehicles. Good techs have trucks to get them loose without breaking them
    I think you mean TRICKS. I pounded on them, hit them with heat, they snapped off anyhow. They're hollow, won't take as much torque as a regular bolt, plus they had corroded in. I might try an easy-out.

Yes. Tricks. They have air hammer bits to fit them , inductive heaters, heat/candle wax. But even then some do break.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    My pickup has an electric break controller factory installed. My Phoenix has surge breaks. I believe all bass boats have surge breaks. Electric and water aren't a good combination.
    Tell me if I'm wrong on any of this. There is no need to have an electric brake controller.
    Correct, your brake controller does not control your brakes, but you do when you step on your truck brakes, so it is always good to make sure that your trailer brake actuator and brake system are in good working order.

I think you mean TRICKS. I pounded on them, hit them with heat, they snapped off anyhow. They're hollow, won't take as much torque as a regular bolt, plus they had corroded in. I might try an easy-out.
    Here is a little truck I learned many years ago while working in a machine shop that may help you remove the remaining part off the bleeders. Short piece (2" +/-) of square tool stock that is slightly larger than the ID of the bleeder remains. Something a wrench will fit on is best. Use a bench grinder to shape one end of tool stock to a square tapper that will fit into the bleeder remains. Tap the taper into the bleeder and turn with wrench while slightly tapping.

I'd go with the "Easy Out" !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Islands View Post
    Are you really willing to go back to drum brakes? When they come out with an electric disk system I will be the first to post a review. Had electric drum brakes on a boat trailer many years ago and never will again.
    They do make an electric disc system, its called electric over hydraulic. The calipers are still hydraulic and have an electric actuator to pressurize them. They work great but just like any other braking system they have their issues. My travel trailer has them and they have been repaired more often than i would like to see, the electronics seem to be a weak point. Just like my dump that has drums i have had to replace the controller on the trailer side more than once. Bottom line is there is no such thing as a maintenance free brake system electric or not.

When it comes to surge brakes on the boat, i bleed mine annually since the fluid attracts water. I also take the bleed screws out and put a dab of never seize on them. I have never had an issue with the bleed screws freezing in there in 25 years of having a boat trailer with brakes. My current trailer is 13 years old and the only parts the brakes have ever needed are pads and i just put a new master in it last year since the seals were gone.

If you want to make bleeding real easy look at the pressure bleeder by motive products, they sell an adapter for trailers that makes the job a super easy one person operation.
    Last edited by jb882; 01-31-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jb882 View Post
    They do make an electric disc system, its called electric over hydraulic. The calipers are still hydraulic and have an electric actuator to pressurize them. They work great but just like any other braking system they have their issues. My travel trailer has them and they have been repaired more often than i would like to see, the electronics seem to be a weak point. Just like my dump that has drums i have had to replace the controller on the trailer side more than once. Bottom line is there is no such thing as a maintenance free brake system electric or not.

When it comes to surge brakes on the boat, i bleed mine annually since the fluid attracts water. I also take the bleed screws out and put a dab of never seize on them. I have never had an issue with the bleed screws freezing in there in 25 years of having a boat trailer with brakes. My current trailer is 13 years old and the only parts the brakes have ever needed are pads and i just put a new master in it last year since the seals were gone.

If you want to make bleeding real easy look at the pressure bleeder by motive products, they sell an adapter for trailers that makes the job a super easy one person operation.

The gentleman I was replying to was talking about going to an electric system because "all the bleeders snapped off". I have researched the elec/hyd system for a project I am considering and appreciate your review along with the pressure bleeder tip.

19. Member
    These bleeders are the first I have snapped. There are both L H screw and square easy outs and I have both, just haven't wanted to remove the calipers to work them in a vise yet. I use my boat a lot and don't want open brake lines if I work on them and don't get finished.