Places to live in Midland Odessa?

I might be moving with my wife to west texas. We have no kids so schools are terribly important. Just not sure what it is like there and what are the better places to live?

2. Member
    Dusty, congested, and stupid expensive.

Greenwood is where a lot of folks are moving to SE of Midland. Couldn’t pay me to live in Hodessa

Would not be on my list of places to move..

I went thru this same issue a few years ago with my company wanted me to move there. Andrews was nice little town for sure around 30 minutes from Midland and. Oil field folks think real estate is golden in that dust bowl. Im glad I passed lol.

[QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by parkj5 View Post
    I went thru this same issue a few years ago with my company wanted me to move there. Andrews was nice little town for sure around 30 minutes from Midland and. Oil field folks think real estate is golden in that dust bowl. Im glad I passed lol.[/QUOTE]
    Saw a piece on Nat'l TV---they had the largest average income of any city in the USA.. about a year ago. Sure hate to see what's fixing to happen post election.

7. Member
    Best place to live in Midland- Odessa is far away from Midland-Odessa.

8. Member
    Well it seems to be that everyone has the same feeling about this area. This is not going to be a long term move for us. 2-4 years until we can get the business sold. Just wasnt sure if there was better areas than others and where they were.

9. Member
    [QUOTE=fishnfireman;11641302]
    Saw a piece on Nat'l TV---they had the largest average income of any city in the USA.. about a year ago. Sure hate to see what's fixing to happen post election.
    Not sure if it still holds true but they also had the highest number of boats registered per capitia in the state.

[QUOTE=ThomasD;11642892]
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post

Not sure if it still holds true but they also had the highest number of boats registered per capitia in the state.
    Not surprised, talk to a lot of folks at area lakes that are from there. When oil business is good they work there a&& off so they can go fishing when it slows.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigStickFishing View Post
    I might be moving with my wife to west texas. We have no kids so schools are terribly important. Just not sure what it is like there and what are the better places to live?
    Get a good realtor and typically Midland is the White collar area and Odessa tends to be more industrial. Spent a lot of time there, I wouldn't live there but if you are only going to live there for 2-4 years I would think you could find some nice places in Midland close to the Country Club. A high school buddy of mine that made millions with his own oil company lives in a really nice house on the course.

12. Member
    I had a customer in Midland once, what a miserable place to visit. I couldn't imagine living there unless you job was like my customers job, walk to the mailbox to pick up the oil check...

Quote Originally Posted by ToledoBendChamp View Post
    Best place to live in Midland- Odessa is far away from Midland-Odessa.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

14. Member
    I had multiple co workers that lived there and hated to leave when a lot of them got transferred to Houston. If you move into a new area with the attitude that this might be temporary but Im going to find things my wife and I would like to to do, then you will enjoy your time. But if you and your wife take the attitude of all the other posters above you or she will be miserable. I could say the same thing about where some of them currently live but I know there are good things to do and good people anywhere you go. Midland is no exception. Go with the right attitude and it will be a positive time for you and your wife.

15. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterBob View Post
    Greenwood is where a lot of folks are moving to SE of Midland. Couldn’t pay me to live in Hodessa
    If I had to move to the area, this is what I'd do.

16. Member
    I lived in Odessa 2 different times and we really enjoyed it. However, I got transferred out in 1988 and haven’t been back, so I can’t really address where the nicer places in town are now. Odessa gets a bad rap, mostly from the snotty nosed elitists who live in Midland. Greenwood area of Midland is the growing area I think. There used to be some nice places on the eastern side of Odessa and around the nicer golf courses in Midland and between Midland and Odessa. Not sure he is still in business, but Virgil Trower used to be the best realtor in Odessa.

17. Member
    Well we decided to stay put and not make the move to west texas.

18. Member
    somewhere else lol