Thread: Game Carts

Game Carts

Any one use them? I never have. It will only be for whitetails. Dragging them out is getting old...as am I. The sandy soil where I hunt can be tough, even going down hill. The areas where I hunt are pretty open. I can use an ATV but do not see a reason to since I would only use a couple times per year.

What carts do you guys recommend?
    Last edited by 06 SB; 01-26-2021 at 11:58 AM.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Game carts do not work well in sandy soil, as they tend to dig ruts when loaded. I have used carts for whitetail and pronghorn. If you have a fairly level ground and compact soil, they work pretty good. If you have to go over lay downs, big rocks, brush, or really uneven ground, they are a pain. Will tip over fairly easily and also catch on limbs.

We have started using the plastic sleds for retrieving game, and I like it a lot better than carts.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...SABEgIRlvD_BwE

I will caution you to be careful going downhill, as your deer will pass you and drag you along. Have hauled out a number of deer in the last three years using the sled, and it cuts the effort easily in half (or more). Even dragging a deer through grass with the sled is noticeably easier than just the deer alone.
    Last edited by adchunts; 01-25-2021 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

3. Member
    sled is the way to go. I use an ice fishing sled there are al different sizes. i would pick one that you can use easily. I attached longer rope to to make it easier to pull. It has been a god send getting them up hills and out of some rough stuff.

I had not even considered a sled. The terrain is not real steep and it is planted pine so no blow downs or other crap that I cannot easily go around. A sled will be much easier to store in my trailer too. THANKS!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

I had a buddy that I always called to help drag. After several calls he quit answering his phone or would make an excuse as to why he couldn't help me. He did loan me a deer sled that worked like a charm. I've used a sled several times in areas I didn't or couldn't use an atv.

6. Iowa/Wisconsin/Hunting & Gun Lodge/Stroker Moderator Wags's Avatar
    I use a decoy sled, I have 2 carts but I prefer the decoy sled.
    LeaLea

I just got an aluminum one for free have not tried it on deer yet but it worked good to take 3 bails of hay out to the barn I took it in case my friends 4 wheeler goes down.

8. Member
    friend of mine made one years ago flat frame two bike tires and handle tires and handle came off we would load it up with our gear and pull it in the woods we walked about a mile in it had 20 inch tires it pulled easy if we got a deer we tied it to cart and two men pulled it out the handle was like a big t it worked very good

9. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I have a cart and they don't work that well in sand, mud deep leaves. I would suggest a sled.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

My only problem with the sled is they don't stop on a hill.. Neither work well coming up but I can prop the cart up or apply the brake on my cart ...the sled ain't got no brake...only time I use my cart is on state lands where the Wheeler or Ranger will get me a ticket...I ain't dragging nothing no more...I'll help you but I ain't dragging nothing on my own...not here..
    MattandAmber Lawler on Facebook
    Matt Lawler HF on Facebook
    matt_lawler_hf on Instagram

"There ain't a price on stupid. Stupid comes for free."

Jonathan Hillstrand

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Game carts do not work well in sandy soil, as they tend to dig ruts when loaded. I have used carts for whitetail and pronghorn. If you have a fairly level ground and compact soil, they work pretty good. If you have to go over lay downs, big rocks, brush, or really uneven ground, they are a pain. Will tip over fairly easily and also catch on limbs.

We have started using the plastic sleds for retrieving game, and I like it a lot better than carts.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...SABEgIRlvD_BwE
    AKA the Magic Carpet we used for sledding when I was a kid. It was a great way to break your neck!

I have a cheap cart from Sportsmans Guide. It's slightly better than dragging but wouldn't buy again. Out of the box it's unstable and any little jolt would pop pins. Ended up taping over the pins and added a lawnmower handle so I wouldn't have to bend over to pull. Biggest complaint is the L-shape. Deer are not L-shaped. If they stiffen up it's a pain to get them on and secured (need 2 ratchet straps)

12. Member
    Get you a sled. I have both and the sled is the way to go.

13. Member
    I forgot I had this pic from last fall. This is the best use I've found for the cart so far. Can't drive the last 200+ yds to our camp so I loaded up the cart with 300#(?) of beech to burn when I'm in for ice fishing. Note the lawnmower handle and the taped pins I mentioned before.
    IMG_20201125_095951543.jpg

14. Member
    I haul bucks out all the time that weigh more then I do...with a game cart. The cabela's two shell is what I got.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"