Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

Slowing down TM on 354V Ranger

I have a conventional 24 volt 80 pound thrust MG cable controlled TM. Low speed is still too fast. Any ideas on slowing it down? I have already have tried different props/cutting down blades,,,ect(caused bad cavitation and noise). Thanks (and dont say get a new TM)

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

2. Member
    SAG. ... you're looking for 24.4v to start with instead of 25.6 or 27. You could let your batteries get about 2/3 dry... hahahahaha... that'll do it.

jk. Sorry - I know of nothing useful. You could, ostensibly put something like this inline - before your pedal. https://www.amazon.com/KNACRO-Brushe...ustomerReviews

... but... I would not use both that controller AND the controller in your foot pedal. There might be someone who knows mods to make to the controller already in your foot pedal w/ resistors, etc.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

3. Banned
    Aren't those TM's speeds 1-10....? A unit with variable speed will probably dial you in much better but that would mean you need a new trolling motor so....

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Does your speed increase/decrease through all settings or are some settings the same?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Does your speed increase/decrease through all settings or are some settings the same?
    They increase as I go up the ladder. Just need it to be slower at lowest speed. Maybe a futile quest other than laying out some $$$$$.

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

6. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Are you sure every change in a speed setting results in a change in speed? Too high of the lowest speed can be result of an opened speed coil resistor.

7. Member
    Been several years ago but I had this problem with a MG Brute 24 volt 5 speed. Positions 1 & 2 where the same. A new speed selector switch corrected problem.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by omcforever View Post
    I have a conventional 24 volt 80 pound thrust MG cable controlled TM. Low speed is still too fast. Any ideas on slowing it down? I have already have tried different props/cutting down blades,,,ect(caused bad cavitation and noise). Thanks (and dont say get a new TM)

Is your motor the 5 speed click type speed controller? If it is the speed controller NoZero posted will work perfectly. Just wire the device between your battery and your motor. Set the speed controller on the motor to 5 and leave it there. Use the speed controller to then adjust your speed. You will be able to go from 0 to 100% in fine increments.

If your motor does not have a click type speed controller your control board maybe bad. The Device NoZero posted in the same thing as that.

The Speed controller NoZero posted is not water proof or water resistant. So care will need to be taken with mounting. You can extend the wires to the control knob without issue to put the main unit out of harms way.

9. Member
    The thing NoZero posted will work. Just get one with a fan to keep it cool, and put it out of the way of moisture. I run one on mine, you need to put the click knob on the foot pedal on 5, and adjust your speed with the PWM control...BUT, BE FORWARNED, a PWM can cause unwanted RFI in your fish finder..

10. Member
    This will work for you: Simply leave your motor on 5 and hook this in and you now have a fully variable speed controller for your motor.

https://www.bassresource.com/bass-fi...ntroller-hack/