Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any body in NC bought a boat from individual in SC

I live in NC and I am considering buying a boat from a guy in SC.
    I have heard it can be a night mare because SC does not require a boat title and trailer title but NC requires both.
    I would be greatly for anyone sharing their experiences and advice on paperwork I need to get a NC title in my name

I did.. Luckily, it was another BBC'er..

The purchase wasn't any issues for me.. Seller and I drew up a bill of sale.. He provided everything he had paperwork wise on the boat. When I returned to NC I went to a Wildlife center and registered the boat. and the DMV for the trailer.. Really not a big deal. PM me if you have any specific questions.

Dave
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

3. Member
    I’ve bought a cpl and no title means nothing. The state will assign you a new title. I admit one thing. NC has some BS rules on boats and trailers. You will just have to go to a DNR place for the boat and the license plate office for the title on the trailer. You also have to have a BOS for each and it has to be notarized in NC unlike in other states a hand writing BOS is no good here. Good luck and it is frustrating in NC that’s a fact.

4. Member
    Be prepared to pay a road tax on that trailer when you register it in NC.

5. Member
    Agreed and that’s not as cheap as you may think.

6. Member
    like Eddie Bruhn said YOUR signature needs to be notarized to please NC. Also I had a mistake on the Bill of Sale and crossed it out and made the correction and Motor Vehicle would not accept it. So get the papers notarized and have no mistakes on the papers and you will be in good shape.
    2011 21xrd
    2011 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    I did. It was a nightmare. Better hope they have the trailer title.

I did it. Registering the Boat was not a problem, but the trailer was never registered. I was the third owner. Each time the rig was sold the Manufacturers title was signed and notarized. The State want me to get the Bill Of Sale from the Guy I bought it from and the guy he bought it from.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

9. Member
    You can’t get that from both. They are trying to do a paper trail to see if taxes was paid. That’s all they want. NC is completely behind when it comes to licensing our items. Good luck and your gonna need a friend who is a notary and make up a fake one to get it done. The first owner will most likely tell you with a finger gesture on what to do. Just being honest I’m sorry. Good luck

10. Member
    I called the NCdmc in Raleigh and got a whole lots of proof of who owns the trailer etc
    the seller is the 2nd so they want me to get proof of the previous owners. DMV lady told me to get as much
    Proof as possible.
    I called the License tag office in Troy nc.
    he first told me to get the seller to title
    the trailer then sell it to me
    after I looked at him like wtf
    He said I need a Bill of sale and
    and a boat registration card to get an Nc title
    I think it depends on who you talk to

11. Banned
    About like if you need weighted tags or not on a truck. Depends on who you ask. Had 2 game wardens just about fight when i was down east fishing one year and they were arguing over whether my numbers were properly displayed on my boat. One said it was right and the other said it was not. After a few minutes they did nothing and left in their vehicles.

12. Member
    NC state government has archaic policies and rules and they cannot comprehend any state that has rules and policies that are different. I had the same problem with a boat and trailer purchased used in TN. Boats are titled, trailers aren't. They wanted verification of all previous owners of the trailer. They were serious too. They wanted me to tell the seller that he had to furnish that to me. I told them that what they were asking was crazy, and that the state of NC nor I had any power to do that. Finally got one, 3 or 4 months later. If you deal with ANY department in NC state government you will deal with that mentality.

13. Member
    2nd that!!

14. Member
    It's not just NC that's picky about bringing non titled trailers in state. The Va. dmv and I have gone around time and time again over this. My best approach has been to bypass local dmv branches and go directly to the central dmv. There, you can find someone who knows the laws in other states. Of course, it helps if you live in Richmond or Raleigh. As far as boats, the Va Game and Inland Fisheries dept is easy to work with.

15. Member
    Guys its really not that hard to do, the NC boat trailer registration requirements are posted online on the NCDMV website. I just purchased one from SC 6 months and no problem with paperwork... where you guys are messing up is listening to the tag office employees, they are not NC State employees and rather have you do all the work for them and make it easy for them. I did have to get hostel with them some. But when the supervisor came an talked to me, I had all my paperwork needed and had screen shots of the NC laws straight from their site, she made them do it.. She said she never knew or seen that in 35years..

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tinybounce View Post
    Guys its really not that hard to do, the NC boat trailer registration requirements are posted online on the NCDMV website. I just purchased one from SC 6 months and no problem with paperwork... where you guys are messing up is listening to the tag office employees, they are not NC State employees and rather have you do all the work for them and make it easy for them. I did have to get hostel with them some. But when the supervisor came an talked to me, I had all my paperwork needed and had screen shots of the NC laws straight from their site, she made them do it.. She said she never knew or seen that in 35years..
    was this to get just the plate/registration? Or did they issue a title as well?

17. Member
    I did it back in August, not too big of a deal.

Registration and titling of the boat was easy since SC does title boats (and motors, but NC does not title motors), I just went to a local authorized registration site (AK McCullum in Fayetteville for me), presented the bill of sale and the title signed by the previous owner's lien holder. I had my temporary registration on the spot, received the 3-year registration and decals in about a week, and received the title in my name in about 30 days.

The trailer was a little more annoying since SC does not title trailers. I had to take the trailer to my nearest theft bureau, which was about a 20 minute drive, and have them inspect it. Then I went to the license plate office and presented them with the bill of sale where I was offered to do an annual or permanent plate. She issued my plate on the spot and told me it would take about 6 months to get my title because of all the checks they have to do. About a month later I received a letter from the state saying the same thing - that it may be up to 6 months before I get the title. I'm not worried; everything has the appropriate decals and/or plates and registration cards so I'm good. By the time I'm ready to upgrade - which should be several years from now - I'll have the trailer title too.

I'm fortunate that the theft bureau office was close by. Looks like they are regional, so you may have to drive a bit to your nearest location, but it's worth the trouble.
    John

2016 Tracker Pro Guide V16 WT w/2019 Mercury 90 4 Stroke and Terrova 55
    Garmin 93SV UHD (Bow), Garmin 73SV UHD (Console), Garmin Livescope (Bow on Fishing Specialties Bowducer)
    Dakota 100AH TM Battery, Ionic 125AH Cranking/House Battery;
    Dual Power-Pole Micros

18. Banned
    NC sure has a lot of hoops to jump thru and we don't get much it seems. You would think boat theft would be higher in SC where they don't title boats and can just swap them with a BOS. Here in NC with registration etc. you would think that would make it more difficult, nope. NC has more boats stolen, fewer total boats, and a 10% lower recovery rate.

file:///C:/Users/My%20DELL/Downloads/2018%20Watercraft%20ForeCAST%20Report_Final.pdf

19. Member
    SC requires boats and outboard motors to be titled. SC does not title or plate boat trailers that weigh less than 3000 lbs. Bill of Sale that identifies separate purchase prices for boat, outboard and trailer, titles for boat and outboard and the trailer’s certificate of origin is all I needed (BOS was not notarized).
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

20. Banned
    If you "Document" your boat in SC it is exempt from title and is still sold via BOS. The issue is people do neither very often.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/boating/Titli...d_Vessels.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast