Temperamental efi 150 mariner

97 mariner mag efi 150 og486771. Been having this problem since last year, starts up fine off the trailer(sometimes have to crack open the throttle some depending on the day) idles fine jumps up on plane and will top out at 51mph good. Was having an issue getting started back up after a run if I didn't fish at least an hour in warm weather, was this way all spring-fall.
    Things I did: replaced spin on fuel filter, fuel line/primer bulb, below deck fuel line, anti siphon valve, spark plugs (all looked good), both voltage regulators(tach wasn't working), thermostats and rebuilt poppet valve.
    Starting problem still exists although every once in awhile it won't give me trouble but it seems to be more often than not. Back in October when the water was still above 60* it developed a bad hesitation at wot only, would run just fine if I backed off to about 3/4 throttle. Was off the water the rest of the year until last week(water temp 41*), boat fired up and ran great for about 5 miles and then it randomly had a quick single hesitation. Happened fast enough to notice but not lose speed. A minute or so later it did it again this time in a couple short quick bursts and then it was fine. I had planned on rebuilding the fuel pump but since it's not necessarily a consistent issue I'm not so sure I'm looking in the right direction. Also when it gives me issues getting started back up when I hit the key it will fire once and die instantly. I've learned it is consistent that if I crack the throttle about 1/4 and ease out for a few seconds it will stay running(idles like crap for a few and then all is well but still gets up and goes good) any suggestions would be appreciated

2. Member
    dont think rebuild on pulse pump gonna cure it/ id check spark when idles like crap along with test of all switches and sensors sounds electrical /better find it if its a inj or fuel system related ECU problem might loose that one to a lean condition
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I played with it for a few minutes earlier, key on the electric pump runs for about 20 seconds. Couldn't get it to give me an issue off the water. There is a schrader valve attached to the pressure regulator on my vst I touched my knife to it and nothing came spraying out like I figured it would fuel just kind of gently ran out of it. I don't have a pressure gauge to tap in there but I figure if there was supposed to be alot of pressure there it would run like crap all the time not just intermittently at random. I have noticed for the past year the warning module doesn't sound off everytime I key on, I took the tan wire off the fuel filter probe and grounded it to engine after a few seconds the light on the module lights up but no alarm. Wondering if that could be the problem? Not sure if that can affect performance or not since it does report to the ecu.

4. Member
    alarm needs to be repaired , possible low fuel psi can deff cause problem, may have leak in inj housing also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheps78 View Post
    I played with it for a few minutes earlier, key on the electric pump runs for about 20 seconds. Couldn't get it to give me an issue off the water. There is a schrader valve attached to the pressure regulator on my vst I touched my knife to it and nothing came spraying out like I figured it would fuel just kind of gently ran out of it. I don't have a pressure gauge to tap in there but I figure if there was supposed to be alot of pressure there it would run like crap all the time not just intermittently at random. I have noticed for the past year the warning module doesn't sound off everytime I key on, I took the tan wire off the fuel filter probe and grounded it to engine after a few seconds the light on the module lights up but no alarm. Wondering if that could be the problem? Not sure if that can affect performance or not since it does report to the ecu.
    Is this engine still Oil Injected, or are you PRE-MIXING?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    It's still oil injected, was completely rebuilt several years ago doesn't have many hours in it. It sat for about 3 years with very little use.

7. Member
    3yrs i would deff look at fuel psi, also monitor your voltage while running see if its getting above 14.5