250 EFI won't go into gear after impeller change

I dropped both lower units today, replaced impellers and put new props on both. Basically same procedure followed for both, so I thought. Port motor (1B043974) will not go into gear now, while starboard works fine. There's no resistance on the shifter for the port motor. I removed the cowling and can see the cable actuating the shift mechanism on the side of the powerhead, but nothing is happening down below. Regardless of shifter position the prop spins by hand with no resistance in either direction. I am assuming the upper shift shaft did not engage the coupler to the lower shift shaft when I reinstalled? Just looking for some guidance on rectifying this. Port motor is a counter-rotating unit. Thanks!
    Last edited by trivialpursuits; 01-24-2021 at 06:15 PM.

Have you checked to make sure that the bushing that connects the lower and upper shift shafts is installed and that the upper shift shaft is seated in it?

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

3. Member
    yep ^^^^^ be lucky if it aint bent now uh oh
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    yep ^^^^^ be lucky if it aint bent now uh oh

The lower unit went on very smoothly with no forcing so I'm optimistic that nothing was bent in the process. I'll find out in the next couple of days when I get more time to work on it again.

5. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryanmc57 View Post
    Have you checked to make sure that the bushing that connects the lower and upper shift shafts is installed and that the upper shift shaft is seated in it?

I'm 95% sure the coupler bushing was installed on the lower when I put it back together. However, being inexperienced with outboard lower unit work, I did not confirm mating of the upper shaft into the coupler bushing. I'm hoping the upper shift shaft is just alongside the coupler instead of in it.

Quote Originally Posted by trivialpursuits View Post
    I'm 95% sure the coupler bushing was installed on the lower when I put it back together. However, being inexperienced with outboard lower unit work, I did not confirm mating of the upper shaft into the coupler bushing. I'm hoping the upper shift shaft is just alongside the coupler instead of in it.
    You can check both possible problems just by looking.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1... Drop that gearcase down, inspect and reinstall making sure that the upper shaft engages the coupler.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Followup for closure of thread: The upper shift shaft was in fact NOT engaged with the coupler to the lower shift shaft. Problem has been solved and it's shifting fine now.

10. Member