Electric anchor, do they scare the fish more than PP?

I am trying to decide between power poles and electric anchor. I know a lot of the marketing material say the power poles minimally disturb the fish. How does an electric anchor compare to this?

I know for sure there will be 1 certain member that will tell you PP is the quietest.
    Last edited by basfish; 01-24-2021 at 06:54 PM.
    Always Think Like A Fish.....No Matter How Weird it Is!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basfish View Post
    I know for sure there will be 1 member that will tell you PP is the quietest.
    Also how great he customer service is after whatever breaks on it.

4. Member
    Used Talons, Power Poles and good old fashion cement anchors, never lacked catching fish. Get what you can afford and enjoy yourself.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srt1010 View Post
    Also how great he customer service is after whatever breaks on it.
    You know what guys, give it a rest already. The sponsors on this page are very helpful to those of us that do have powerpoles, and PP customer service has been great also.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunderblunder View Post
    I am trying to decide between power poles and electric anchor. I know a lot of the marketing material say the power poles minimally disturb the fish. How does an electric anchor compare to this?
    If you're talking about a old style electric anchor that drops down off of the front of the boat I would think that would be more disturbing to fish while sight fishing than power poles. If you are talking about Talons on the back of the boat I don't see those as being any more or any less disturbing to fish.
    Charles Prue - Linthicum Heights, MD
    2003 Champion 206 Elite - 250 VMax

7. Member
    One thing to keep in mind is where you are fishing. If you are in water over 7-8' an anchor will go as deep as your rope is long.
    Fish have fins, they swim

8. Member
    Talons sound louder because the motor is outside of the boat but underwater the PP's make more noise if it matters.

Quote Originally Posted by basfish View Post
    I know for sure there will be 1 certain member that will tell you PP is the quietest.
    Your post and SRT1010's are definitely NOT necessary. Best to keep your comments to yourself.

Truth hurts?

11. Member
    "Truths are those things that are not simply acknowledged, but must be discovered". I for one have "discovered" that when I had needed Talon service it was difficult to get. On the other hand, I "discovered" that even when I did not need help, Power Pole was there to provide what I needed quickly and painlessly. So in my case Truth did not hurt but was in fact a great help.
    Risen From The Ashes!!

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    My opinion is Talons disturb the fish less because the motor noise is above the waterline whereas with Power Pole the pump emitting the noise is typically in the bilge, either right at the water line or under the water line. Now with that being said my opinion is neither one emits enough noise for that to be my deciding factor between the two different styles of anchors. Both have pros and cons so I would look beyond disturbing fish and see which one has the benefits that best suits your needs.

13. Member
    Curious as to what the OP really is looking for an electric operated anchor and rope, or talon, or power pole.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Curious as to what the OP really is looking for an electric operated anchor and rope, or talon, or power pole.
    I'm needing a way to keep my boat stationary in water less than 10 feet deep. The reason I asked the question is an electric anchor is a lot less than talon/pp.

15. Member
    https://www.stayputanchor.com/pole-spikes/ this will be about as quiest as it gets...

My talons are the old, old ones but oh so quiet. Why, I even have to back at them to see if they deployed. However, I did have a fella with PP pull up beside me. When he dropped those poles, I saw 3 grass carp hold their ears, LOL. Seriously, to the OP, electric anchor, anchor on a rope, chain or cable will be cheaper than Talons or PP. I don't know of any tests that have been conducted as to the sound of either. Guys with Talons, theirs are quieter, Guys with PP, theirs are quieter. It's a Chey, Ford thingy. Neither are quieter or cheaper than whatever you use. Of course, that stay put anchor looks pretty quiet

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    My talons are the old, old ones but oh so quiet. Why, I even have to back at them to see if they deployed. However, I did have a fella with PP pull up beside me. When he dropped those poles, I saw 3 grass carp hold their ears, LOL. Seriously, to the OP, electric anchor, anchor on a rope, chain or cable will be cheaper than Talons or PP. I don't know of any tests that have been conducted as to the sound of either. Guys with Talons, theirs are quieter, Guys with PP, theirs are quieter. It's a Chey, Ford thingy. Neither are quieter or cheaper than whatever you use. Of course, that stay put anchor looks pretty quiet
    Yeah, I just didn't know if that 20 pound anchor free falling through the water and slamming on to the bottom messes up the fishing.

18. Member
    I don't know the answer. My guess it would be close to the same or even a concrete coffee can hitting the bottom. Regardless neither have really spooked fish as much as my trolling motor.

I have PP, the pumps make some noise as does the extending of the arms. My buddy has the Talons, I can hear them deploy. However we have never had any problems with either dropping in on some shallow bass.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flunderblunder View Post
    Yeah, I just didn't know if that 20 pound anchor free falling through the water and slamming on to the bottom messes up the fishing.
    Comes down to how much you want to spend. I got a powerpole micro installed for around $900. I have seen guys up here on the river in 20' rangers with the micro. Otherwise like others have said it's a personal preference thing. The trolling motor will spook fish more than an anchor. Other thing to think about is how much are you going to dirty up the water when the anchor hits. There isn't too much bottom disturbance with a talon/powerpole/raptor

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ-Rohlf View Post
    Comes down to how much you want to spend. I got a powerpole micro installed for around $900. I have seen guys up here on the river in 20' rangers with the micro. Otherwise like others have said it's a personal preference thing. The trolling motor will spook fish more than an anchor. Other thing to think about is how much are you going to dirty up the water when the anchor hits. There isn't too much bottom disturbance with a talon/powerpole/raptor
    That is a really good point about dirtying the water.