Questions regarding my new to me 225 EFI

Hey! I just purchased a 2000 Triton TR21 with a 2000 Merc 225 EFI (0T054973). I am probably about to have a good bit of work done on it (bilge pumps, steering seals, fuel sending unit etc.). Anyway I have a few questions about the boat.
    -First, I believe I am supposed to have a startup alarm but it is not working. Can anyone confirm that I am supposed to have the alarm? Also, my dash has an electric gauge that shows the temp, fuel, and oil. When I turn the key on, the oil and temp lights up red for a second and goes away. Does this just confirm that it is working? If so, should the gas portion not light up red as well?
    -I think I will need the water pump changed. The previous owner has a new lower unit on it and said he thinks he remembers changing the water pump when he put the new lower on. It has a gentle stream at idle, but yesterday when I was running it faster, it would pee on and off in little spurts. Today I looked at the pee hole and it had a portion of a stick broke off in it... so maybe that is just my problem. I can't remember how much psi the gauge was telling me but I don't trust it too much because it doesn't return to zero.
    -Lastly, when I have started the motor after sitting, it sometimes will stall a few times when I put it in gear. It could just be old gas because he said he had been filling the tank completely full (non ethanol) since the gas gauge doesn't work correctly... well 52 gallons is a lot of gas. It sort of runs a little rough feeling with I barely engage the hot foot so maybe it's the fuel or possibly injectors? I am wanting to have the injectors flowed and tested as well.
    -Also, the spark plugs in it are the NGK BR8HS I believe. I bought some of the recommended champion plugs but I have not put them in yet. I was going to change the plugs and run the boat today, but I don't want to run it without insurance, properly peeing water pump, or properly working bilge pumps... Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by TdawgAlexander; 01-25-2021 at 02:49 PM.

2. Member
    does have horn find it,check bulbs in multi gauge , replace w/p if over 365 days ,QL77CC plugs only
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

If you would, please take a moment to review the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the Required Info (serial number) when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Will do! And I am the one who contacted you about the injection cleaning yesterday! It's a small world lol

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Thought it sounded quite familiar.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor