03 Champion 187 battery storage

I have an 2003 187 and was curious how everyone has their batteries arranged. My boat has the big gas tank in the back with the oil reservoir sitting on top/middle of the tanks. The battery compartments are small. I had to modify the passenger side to fit two everstart grp29 batteries for the trolling motor. On the driver side I have a 3 bank charger and I can only fit specific batteries in that compartment (grp 24 if handled attached on the side, can fit a grp27 if the handle is on top of the battery.) Has anyone moved their charger somewhere else to accommodate a larger battery? I will try to upload pics later but looking for ideas. I am looking to add a bigger battery to the drivers side to compensate for electronics.
    Thanks
    Last edited by bmb; 01-24-2021 at 12:51 PM.

2. Member
    I used to have a 187. My current boat is a 210. On this boat I removed the battery charger. I put quick disconnects on the charger leads and the battery leads. It works well for me. You might consider that. It will also remove a few pounds of weight.
    GETFISHED !!!

3. Member
    Do you have a picture of the disconnects or a link to them?
    thanks

4. Member
    I think I have a pic on my phone. Can You pm me the number and I'll try to text them to you. I bought them at Batteries and bulbs, Works great.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    PM sent
    Thanks

6. Member
    I have an '01 187 with the same layout as you. Have a Group 29/31 in the driver side with the MK330D and the fuse blocks. Also store my tools in that compartment. Other side has 2 group 27 sized lithiums. No problems here.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

7. Member
    Do you have a pic of your layout of the drivers side? I am going to put a bigger battery in this week but the charger I currently have is a dual pro and it will not fit in there with a bigger battery. I think I am going to pull the charger out for now and maybe replace the charger later
    thanks

8. Member
    Here are some pic of my setup. I have cranking battery and power pole pumps on the starboard side, chargers over the gas tank, and 3 batteries on the port side. I arranged everything to give me better storage space.

[img]undefined[/img]

'98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)