Battery Needs 2 12 inch Carbons

I am currently running a 12 inch carbon and a 9 inch on the front. I am running a Duracell 27 Dual Purpose and both units are directly wired to the battery. This setup has been working well with no noticeable issues even after long periods of time between fishing and starting the big motor. I am planning to upgrade to a 12 inch unit up front in the near future. Will the 27 Dual Purpose handle this load or should I upgrade? I cannot fit a size 31 battery without some serious modifications. Considered moving up to an AGM 27 dual purpose which has 12 more Amp hour capacity than the flooded battery I am running now.

Any thoughts?

2. Member
    What is the Ah-rating of your current batterybank? What is the DOD% of the batterybank? How many hours of use before charging?

Current amp hour rating of my battery starting my outboard and including my electronics is 80 Ah. The AGM version of the same battery is 92 Ah. I am not sure on the DOD% although I could try to figure that out. I normally fish 8 to 12 hour days and I have a minn kota automatic charger that gets plugged in as soon as I get home. So all of the batteries including this one are always charging or getting trickle charged.

X2 group 31 from Batteries plus bulbs. Or the 27 if you just cannot get the 31 in there.

Thread
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bassinyea View Post
    I am currently running a 12 inch carbon and a 9 inch on the front. I am running a Duracell 27 Dual Purpose and both units are directly wired to the battery. This setup has been working well with no noticeable issues even after long periods of time between fishing and starting the big motor. I am planning to upgrade to a 12 inch unit up front in the near future. Will the 27 Dual Purpose handle this load or should I upgrade? I cannot fit a size 31 battery without some serious modifications. Considered moving up to an AGM 27 dual purpose which has 12 more Amp hour capacity than the flooded battery I am running now.

Given your restrictions you need to provide more details.

Any thoughts?

1- What type/brand boat is this?

2-What brand and HP motor?

3-Do you plan on maybe adding more electonics later down the road?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassinyea View Post
    Current amp hour rating of my battery starting my outboard and including my electronics is 80 Ah. The AGM version of the same battery is 92 Ah. I am not sure on the DOD% although I could try to figure that out. I normally fish 8 to 12 hour days and I have a minn kota automatic charger that gets plugged in as soon as I get home. So all of the batteries including this one are always charging or getting trickle charged.
    Ideally, keep the cranking-battery you have. Add a LiFePo4 of 50-100Ah and a charging relay (Victron has a good one for lead to litium) so surplus-cgarge from the ouboard to the cranking-battery goes to the LiFePo4. This setup saves weight, space and in the long run also money, versus expanding your batterybank with more lead-based batteries.