Thread: Hyco lake

Hyco lake

Never fished much on Hyco but giving it a try this year. All i've ever heard was high boat pass fees and little fish. Anybody got any suggestions? Thanks

2. Member
    yea, go somewhere else. Mayo you can fish for free

3. Member
    There are good fish in hyco, but they’re Very hard to find this time of year. And yes, $25 daily fee.

4. Member
    For 25, i better catch a 100 bass a day.

Was out there at the beginning of the year. Water stained to muddy all over, 54 degrees where I was at, mid 40's to the West. Caught a lot of fish, one at 5 lbs. Bass hearding around shad balls in open water. This guy's experience was the similar that day except without the Livescope.

The magic "Winter power plant hot water" is not what it used to be at hyco. But as my day above suggests, still well above average in the winter. They changed the boiler cooling from lake water to cooling towers maybe 10 years ago. Still have some hot water coming out of the plant, but not enough to keep the talapia warm in the winter. Massive die off last year and I did not catch a single one this year.

Spring can be great for both numbers and size. In summer docks and key off shore spots produce well. Wake boats will be really churning up the water when warm weather hits and you can enjoy their music for free . Seriously, watch your speed during the summer due to the rouge waves. This is not a big lake.

Both parking levels full every weekend I went last year during the Spring and Summer. Weekdays many fewer boats.

The yearly fee is now at $75. Used to be $45 and with that low fee came the some sketchiest ramps in the area (especially during very low water). That extra $30 provided some the best docks and ramps I have ever used. Well worth the extra $$ in the fee.

For what it is worth the lake was a paradise 30 years ago. Never saw a lot of boats and the tales of 50+ fish days were absolutely real.

Fishing pressure and habitat destruction (Million dollar mansions with dredged shorelines vs wooded shoreline) changed the character of the lake profoundly over the years. lake was in a real funk five or six years ago, now it is back to a "good" lake.

My $0.02

Enjoy watching videos like this.. thanks for posting.
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

7. Member
    Hyco Res. !!!! I miss fishing that lake. Thanks Duke Energy for forcing the lake authority to increase the Year pass and daily launch fees. I use to fish Hyco primarily and launch fees aren't all Duke increased. I have a friend with a second home on the lake inform me Duke increased their dock permit fees. Reason for Duke doing these increases were curious in that they were done just after the Coal Ash sandal several years ago.

8. Member
    If i am not mistaken, non boaters will pay to park in the lot now. Not sure of the price but I do remember hearing something about that. Oh yea, and if ya have a kayak, or any non gas powered boat, no boat ramp fee, if I remember correctly. Best to call and get all the info before ya show up. Bring your debit card also.