Heading sensor question

If you have a solix at the console and a helix on the bow, I know you can share waypoints and the Helix will need it’s own map card. But does the helix on the bow need its own GPS puck to stop the waypoint from spinning around the boat as you approach it? I’m going to use the solix to mark waypoints and the helix to find them on the bow with my trolling motor. On my old Lowrance Live unit the waypoint would spin without the GPS puck heading sensor.

Both units have a built in GPS antenna but from the sounds of it you might want 2 external antennas

First if your marking waypoints with the console unit (solix) you want the GPS antenna as close to the transducer as possible to mark an accurate waypoint otherwise your mark is a good 6 feet or more off (distance from transducer to console unit) For this you can use the standard AS GRP antenna

Second for the bow unit (helix) you want the AS GPS HS antenna for the heading sensor this will stop the waypoint from spinning
    You want to mount this one up front near the unit or even closer to the transducer – again for better accuracy

Now if the units are networked it should be possible for the solix to access the heading sensor from the front antenna giving you this feature on the solix while still using the back antenna as GPS fix
    "The handicapped angler"

3. Member
    Don't think the Helix will share the GPS with the Solix. Another possibility would be if you had an ipilot link. You could use it for both units for heading(Ethernet). Bob
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

4. Member
    Unless you have a Bluetooth MinnKota Link model TM, you would need the AS GPS HS up on the bow with the Helix to provide Heading for speeds <.6mph when on the TM as referenced by MichAngler.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Thanks everyone. I have not purchased the trolling motor yet so I will definitely look into an Ultrex Link with Bluetooth with the down and side transducer built in. I assume that transducer will work on a Helix and also fix the bow heading sensor concern. I will likely still get a GPS puck for the console and put it as close to the console Solix transducer as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by j791 View Post
    Thanks everyone. I have not purchased the trolling motor yet so I will definitely look into an Ultrex Link with Bluetooth with the down and side transducer built in. I assume that transducer will work on a Helix and also fix the bow heading sensor concern. I will likely still get a GPS puck for the console and put it as close to the console Solix transducer as possible.
    iPilot LINK and a Minnkota built-in MSI or MDI transducer works with Helix and SOLIX.

The MDI and MSI transducers come with a SOLIX plug. You have to convert it to 7-pin to connect to a Helix.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    iPilot LINK and a Minnkota built-in MSI or MDI transducer works with Helix and SOLIX.

The MDI and MSI transducers come with a SOLIX plug. You have to convert it to 7-pin to connect to a Helix.

Awesome, thanks!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcoy View Post
    Another possibility would be if you had an ipilot link. You could use it for both units for heading(Ethernet). Bob
    Can you explain how to do this? I have 4 Helixs, 360, I-pilot link and would like a heading sensor.

9. Member
    Select the GPS under Network setting for GPS source.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by jackdz1 View Post
    Can you explain how to do this? I have 4 Helixs, 360, I-pilot link and would like a heading sensor.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL