Lipless crank rod

What rod do you prefer for 1/2 oz lipless cranks? I currently use a SC bass x 7'2" MHM with braid to a leader. This setup works well for me, but it might be time for a switch. This rod is very light, which I like. I am starting to think of ordering a Levante EMTF. Anyone like EMTFs for lipless cranks? I have also been wondering about IMX pro 864 cbr deep flex or 906 cbr. Any other rods I should be looking at?

2. Member
    I also wonder about Daiwa TTU721MRB or TAEL721MHRB.

3. Member
    Lipless 1/2 - 1oz with braid + leader = custom Otterods MHX CB 907
    Lipless 1/2 - 1 oz co-poly/fluoro = OG Megabass 7'11" Cyber Shootist
    Lipless 3/8 - 3/4 braid + leader shorter rod = custom Gen II gray slate blank GLoomis CBR 845
    Lipless 1/4 - 1 oz any type of line with slightly longer rod and most versatility = Evergreen EG Swimmer 7'2" MH MF.
    All purpose factory USDM for any type of line for lipless 3/8 - 1 oz = Phenix Ultra MBX Classic 707MHF

For power cranking lipless with 50lb + braid and heavier 17lb CXX + leader, 1 oz + lipless over grass and needing to keep bass pinned after ripping from grass = three custom Seeker S Glass blanks, which are about three times heavier than graphite, with xfast SGlass tips, and tons more backbone, but has the SGlass forgiveness that no graphite or composition blank can match...honestly, if these blanks weighed even only "twice" that of graphite/graphite comp, I would only use them for lipless and braid + leader combos for 1/2 - 1oz + lipless.

Seeker SGlass custom rod blanks as follows: 2 x CFC 807F, one cut down 1" for a more powerful launching tip. 1 CWS 808 cut down to 7'8" (same as the OG umbrella rig rod used by the "originators" of the A-Rig U-Rig i.e. Andy Poss, and including pro fisher Paul Elias).

Here is a link to the Seeker ReactPro series, granted I don't believe they are in stock: https://www.tackledirect.com/seeker-...ries-rods.html

Good luck, tons of available options out there that will work just fine, including a couple of my OG Favs in the Gloomis MBR 842 GLX (lighter 1/4 - 1/2 oz with non braid) and the MBR 843 IMX (3/8 - 3/4).

4. Member
    Another set of criteria is the surroundings where you will be tossing these lipless? Open water, hard structure, weed beds, rocks, stickups, etc. Also, bass eat lipless differently during different times of the year, and if you are slow-rolling or yo-yo'ing in open water, the rod/line and hooksets would be different than power/speed rippin' over weeds during prespawn or chasing active feeders in open water near rocks during the fall shad run, etc.

5. Member
    I pretty much fish a 1/2 oz, on braid with leader, in scattered grass year round. Anyone have experience with Phenix X10 or X12? Started looking at those this morning and they seem like a good option.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PSchueller View Post
    I pretty much fish a 1/2 oz, on braid with leader, in scattered grass year round. Anyone have experience with Phenix X10 or X12? Started looking at those this morning and they seem like a good option.
    Excellent hybrid graphite blanks and for your scenario should work very well. The X10 and X12 blanks are great options for moving trebles with braid. The X12 would have been the blank option I would have gone with over the MHX CB 907, however at the time, the MHX was much less expensive and more readily available.

X-10 Review:
    http://tackletour.com/reviewphenixx10.html
    Last edited by dragon1; 01-24-2021 at 10:34 AM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by PSchueller View Post
    What rod do you prefer for 1/2 oz lipless cranks? I currently use a SC bass x 7'2" MHM with braid to a leader. This setup works well for me, but it might be time for a switch. This rod is very light, which I like. I am starting to think of ordering a Levante EMTF. Anyone like EMTFs for lipless cranks? I have also been wondering about IMX pro 864 cbr deep flex or 906 cbr. Any other rods I should be looking at?
    The EMTF would be an excellent choice for up to 1/2 ounce traps. I have been using a MB USA Destroyer Javelin for traps and love it. The EMTF is very similar in action/power. But I use straight Fluoro.

If you are using braid or braid to leader then I would recommend a glass/composite. I have also been playing around with the Tatula 7 ft 4 Heavy and the Daiwa Rebellion 7 ft 4 heavy and they are both really nice rods for moving/treble hook baits and the Rebellion is ridiculously light for a glass composite rod.

8. Member
    Thanks for the info. I agree that a composite rod would probably be a good idea. I try to stick with lightweight gear because of several joint issues. Do you know how much your Rebellion weights? How is it for 3/8 oz bladed jigs?

I don’t know the actual weight of the rod. I just looked on the Daiwa site and they don’t list the weight in the specs. I have a 3/8 ounce Megabass Robin Blade (Chatterbait) with a Yamamoto Zakko trailer tied on it right now and it will bomb it. The rod has a lot of tip and loads really well so I don’t think you would have any issues with a 3/8 ounce bait and trailer. I’m not using any super super light reel either. It has a Tatula 100 Elite Long Cast on it for reference.

Didn’t get the rod until late in 2020 and our grass was all but gone so I didn’t get a chance to test it ripping traps out of the grass. Just by the action and feel and with the time I have put in using it so far, I think it will be a great rod for fishing both chatterbaits and traps around grass.

10. Member
    I don't like the EMTF for traps. I switched to a Daiwa BLX 7'4" MHRB and it is much better. Just way more sensitive than my Orochi XX EMTF. The Javelin in the destroyer series is also good but not near as good as the Daiwa.

The Phenix X-series are great for this, but I think you're gonna be very disappointed if you go with an X10 or X12. Too wimpy for a half ounce trap, especially if you're around grass at all. You'd be much happier with an X11 or X13, depending on length you want. They're way overrated by Phenix, the heavier powered options will make you much happier. Just for reference, I can bomb a 3/8 oz squarebill on my X13. I'd feel comfortable throwing a trap down to 1/4 on it with no hesitation, but 3/8 to 3/4 up to 1 oz is really the sweet spot for the X11/13. No way I'd want to throw anything even close to approaching the 3 oz mark that they're rated for on the upper end.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34