7'6' ml legend elite

Looking for information on the Stcroix 7'6" Legend Elite spinning for swimming hair jigs. How does it compare to a NRX 901.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lisa1117 View Post
    Looking for information on the Stcroix 7'6" Legend Elite spinning for swimming hair jigs. How does it compare to a NRX 901.
    Following...also, the Daiwa Steez AGS "Unicorn" 7'6" M-ML if by chance someone has some experience here as well

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post

Following...also, the Daiwa Steez AGS "Unicorn" 7'6" M-ML if by chance someone has some experience here as well
    Its not the Steez, but I just got a Daiwa Tatula 7'6" ML-M/fast action spinning rod, that is labeled as a hair jig fir one of its purposes. I bought it for more of a finesse rod for throwing 3-5" grubs.this rod has more power than my Dobyns 733sf's. It is irn NO WAY a hair jig rod. Daiwa miss labeled this rod! It is a true medium power, and the action is actually closer to an XF action, than it is a fast action. I'll be using it as another tube rod up on Erie.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolarKraft195 View Post
    Its not the Steez, but I just got a Daiwa Tatula 7'6" ML-M/fast action spinning rod, that is labeled as a hair jig fir one of its purposes. I bought it for more of a finesse rod for throwing 3-5" grubs.this rod has more power than my Dobyns 733sf's. It is irn NO WAY a hair jig rod. Daiwa miss labeled this rod! It is a true medium power, and the action is actually closer to an XF action, than it is a fast action. I'll be using it as another tube rod up on Erie.
    Appreciate the info, helps for sure to know it's much more powerful than the LE 7'6" MLF as well.

5. Member
    The croix will have more power and be faster in action both are legit hair jig rods. I think the nrx is more efficient casting those 1/16 hair jigs
    Nitro z21

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post

Appreciate the info, helps for sure to know it's much more powerful than the LE 7'6" MLF as well.
    Being that I've owned many croixs, including an older model (brown blank) 7'0" ML/F Croix Legend Elite, I can say the Tatula rod i mentioned above has more power, and faster action than it for sure.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    The croix will have more power and be faster in action both are legit hair jig rods. I think the nrx is more efficient casting those 1/16 hair jigs
    If you had to choose which one would you pick.

8. Member
    I own a couple steez 76MMl. Also the 76 ml elite. Like them both a lot. Owned a 901 previously.

The elite has a very very fast action with very soft tip.

for 1/16 the 901 casts the best. But its too low powered for my liking on large prespawn smb. I use the steez for hairs 10 braid to 6fc leader. I tested against the 901, 902 conquest, 7 2020 xtreme ml and m, and 76 ml elite. 76 ml and steez casting pretty close. just prefer slower action for hairs. But i could have been happy with the elite also.

9. Member
    Anyone have experience with the Kage UL series, especially this one: https://tackletrap.com/index.php?mai...ducts_id=15902

I am very intrigued with this 76MLXS option.

TIA.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    I own a couple steez 76MMl. Also the 76 ml elite. Like them both a lot. Owned a 901 previously.

The elite has a very very fast action with very soft tip.

for 1/16 the 901 casts the best. But its too low powered for my liking on large prespawn smb. I use the steez for hairs 10 braid to 6fc leader. I tested against the 901, 902 conquest, 7 2020 xtreme ml and m, and 76 ml elite. 76 ml and steez casting pretty close. just prefer slower action for hairs. But i could have been happy with the elite also.
    Good info. Thanks for the post. I've been looking at all three rods you mentioned for hair jigs. Do you use the steez and legend elite for any other applications? I've read the 901 is a one trick pony. Would you say the same is true for the steez and legend elite?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dylanl View Post
    Do you use the steez and legend elite for any other applications?
    Also waiting for uwbadger's reply. I only have the Steez 76MML and I cannot imagine a better spybait/finesse swimbait rod. Esp with spybaits the taper really keep fish pinned.

12. Member
    I have found in spinning rods what is "best" is very personal and not objective. I fish with a 65 yo fishing HOF member and an ex 18yr elite tour bass pro. One likes 610-7 for certain things the other 76 same techniques... One likes lighter power the other heavier power. They both say to me you can catch them how you want now...

What I have found after extensive testing including on our private lake here - and again personal preference.

For hand/wrist/shoulder comfort the 76MML is hands down my fav spin rod. Handle/reel seat, length, weight, balance. I use it for spybaits, 1/8-3/16 finesse swim baits (3-4" tails), 1/16-1/8 hair jigs. Basically light moving baits. Casts great. I find the most sensitive rods I have owned (vs NRX (852/872), conquests (842/902), 7 and 76 steez, other croix - again PERSONAL preference - NRX very close but I have broken too many in cold weather setting the hook) in MY opinion are the 2020 St croix AGS extremes. but I do not love the handle shape or reel seat (have told them that many times). And they are $$$. But I will say this - the 3 largest smb I caught in 2020 all on the same rod - 7 medium power fast action on light taps. I love that rod for bottom contact or slow rolling. I use the 610 for light DS. I just got the 76 medium in that rod and will try that this spring. Probably open water casting clear water.

If I could only have one rod it would be the 2020 xtreme AGS in medium 7 or 76. My second rod would be the 76MML steez. One for bottom/sensitivy the other for moving baits. My fav 2 rods... The 902 just did not do it for me. I had 2. Cast great. But to me the least sensitive of the group.

I also use the 76 ML elite for jigging eyes. Its super soft tip often lets me see the bite before feeling it if fish finicky - aka trips to Lac Suel with the boys catching 50-150 eyes in a day. I also use that rod for vertical DS (can see tip load) and is great at keeping fish pinned with 6lb fc and a light drag setting. It also works great for spring small shallow cbs in the rocks. And a decent finesse swim bait rod too. My second fav hair jig rod also. My son uses the 76 ML elite a lot. I have two and just cant sell them. Something special about that rod for the right use... I suspect the 76mml could make a good vertical DS rod also. I like longer rods for that... Again personal preferece.

Well my 2 cents. It has cost me a pretty penny to figure that all out :)
    Last edited by uwbadger; 01-30-2021 at 09:48 PM.

13. Member
    AWESOME!!! Thank you for sharing and expounding.

14. Member
    Picked up a NRX901 this week ask they are hard to find. The shop had 3 and I chose the one with the lightest tip thinking it would cast lighter 1/16 and 3/32 better. Made a few cast from the dock before the snow came in. Cast slightly better than my IMX 902 (same guide train as NRX), although I could only cast into a head wind or quartering wind. Rod is pretty whimpy in the upper third with okay power in the butt of the rod. Overall I think it's going to be under powered for active warmer water fish, for lazy pre spawn cold water fish you can follow with the boat it may be okay. Definingly only a one use rod, it gets a spot in the rack next to my a rig rod. Still kind of looking.

15. Member
    Exactly. Too low powered for my fishing. If you can try one the 76 steez AGS MML is a nice hair jig rod.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    Exactly. Too low powered for my fishing. If you can try one the 76 steez AGS MML is a nice hair jig rod.
    I sent you a PM. Thanks for helping to edify.

17. Member
    What about the Destroyer Flyssa?

I haven’t used it, but I feel like I’ve heard of guys using it for Hair Jigs.