Mega 360 connection/configuration problem (I think).....

Ok, I’ve been running a Helix 12 Gen 4 Chirp Mega+ SI and DI with a MinnKota Ultrex with built-in Mega+ DI since early December issue-free. I bought a Mega 360 and installed it today using a 9-M360-2-DDI-Y cable. I powered up and the “Sonar” Option across the top (hit MENU button twice) is gone. I went into setup and selected “reset defaults”. Still no “Sonar” option. I cycled power, and it came up asking about the transducer type. I scrolled thru the options but it didn’t list a Mega 360 option. And still no “Sonar” option from the main menu. Any ideas what the heck is going on?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

When the MEGA 360 is detected, all the Connected Transducer selections are changed to ones involving the MEGA 360.
    Detected is the KEY for the below:

Default is the MEGA 360 alone==first selection in the Connected Transducer menu.
    To add what you have connected to the Y cable on the sonar side, you have to select what it is with the MEGA 360.

In your case, the setting is Built-in HW:MDI+/ MEGA 360 or similar. I have not written down how the G4N has them listed.

All that is assuming you have the Minnkota MKR-MDI-1 adapter connecting the Minnkota built-in MDI transducer to the Y cable's 7-pin female plug.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

AND the MKR-MDI-1 has been discontinued and replaced by the MKR-MI-1 since the built-in MSI transducer was available. It works with the MDI and MSI transducers.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Question, when you were using the Minnkota built-in MDI transducer with the SI+ unit, did you change the Connected Transducer setting to Built-in HW : MDI+ so the SI circuits would not be pinged?
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Wayne, thanks for the reply. Ok, prior to installing the Mega 360, I had the MinnKota MDI connected to the Helix 12 via a AS EC QDE cable. Everything ran great. When I installed the Mega 360, I removed the AS EC QDE cable and connected the MinnKota MDI cable directly to the “Y”-cable, with the Mega 360 connected to the other connection, and then plugged the “y” cable into the Helix 12. Is this correct? Is cabling part of the reason the Helix 12 isn’t seeing the Mega 360?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Question, when you were using the Minnkota built-in MDI transducer with the SI+ unit, did you change the Connected Transducer setting to Built-in HW : MDI+ so the SI circuits would not be pinged?
    I selected “Built-in HW: MDI+” from the initial options when I powered it up a month ago. So I’m assuming the SI circuits were turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by ehunter View Post
    Wayne, thanks for the reply. Ok, prior to installing the Mega 360, I had the MinnKota MDI connected to the Helix 12 via a AS EC QDE cable. Everything ran great. When I installed the Mega 360, I removed the AS EC QDE cable and connected the MinnKota MDI cable directly to the “Y”-cable, with the Mega 360 connected to the other connection, and then plugged the “y” cable into the Helix 12. Is this correct? Is cabling part of the reason the Helix 12 isn’t seeing the Mega 360?
    No you did not have the transducer connected with the AS EC QDE, that is an Ethernet Adapter and has nothing to do with a transducer connection.
    If you removed an adapter cable from the MDI transducer and plugged the 14-pin plug directly to a Y cable, you don't have the 9 M360 2DDI Y cable either.
    None of that makes any sense.

Describe the plugs that the Y cable has, all three of them.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Ok, the boat is 30 miles from here. I’ll be back there in the morning and will describe the connections then. Thanks.

Read this as it pertains to what you have------

MKR-MI-1 and 720109-1 Question (bbcboards.net)
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL