Set up question - detailed responses appreciated

If you were going to run just two units, which would you put where and why?

HDS Live 16
    HDS Live 12

The front will have Active Target

Would you hook up the 3 in 1 off the TM or just from the back?

Any other thoughts or considerations?

Thanks!

Tough call either way. I would want the biggest screen where I was going to spend the most time. If I felt like that was up at the trolling motor then that’s where I would put it. If the 3 in 1 was my only choice then it would be on the transom so I could use side scan downscan to locate fish/structure while idling and sitting at the console. Not a fan of the 3 in 1 personally because of how low it has to be mounted on the transom to get 2-d sonar while running at normal speeds/on plane. I’d go with a 2 in 1 then a shoot thru hull 2-d transducer in the bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos21XL View Post
    Tough call either way. I would want the biggest screen where I was going to spend the most time. If I felt like that was up at the trolling motor then that’s where I would put it. If the 3 in 1 was my only choice then it would be on the transom so I could use side scan downscan to locate fish/structure while idling and sitting at the console. Not a fan of the 3 in 1 personally because of how low it has to be mounted on the transom to get 2-d sonar while running at normal speeds/on plane. I’d go with a 2 in 1 then a shoot thru hull 2-d transducer in the bilge.
    +1 👍👍

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

4. Member
    I love having my 16 up front (with Active Target on the bottom pane); and my 12 at the console.
    ciao,
    Marc

5. Member
    Some good thoughts.

Tempted to put the 16 up front and appreciate your input Marc.

Re transducers, For the console, I have an existing thought hull for an old HDS-8, I should look this uo but I'm guessing y'all know if I can hook that and the 3in1 up at the same time? That way the 3in1 can but on the backplate and not the transom,while the other will give me depth readings on pad. Make sense or not possible?

Also will have a second 3in1, does it make sense to mount that on the trolling motor to have DI and SI from the front of the boat? I do not want to be reading off the back.

I was cutting edge with all this ten years ago, need to catch up again I guess.

6. Member
    Yes, you can use that transducer but will need a 7 to 9 pin adapter cable to hook up to the LIVE.

Realize you are putting a great unit on your boat, yet reducing its effectiveness to an old transducer that has lost strength with age. If you want to get back to cutting edge, I would suggest changing that transducer epoxied in your hull. It is not expensive or hard (see the below video):

ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    Re transducers, For the console, I have an existing thought hull for an old HDS-8, I should look this uo but I'm guessing y'all know if I can hook that and the 3in1 up at the same time? That way the 3in1 can but on the backplate and not the transom,while the other will give me depth readings on pad. Make sense or not possible?
    I just added a Live unit at the console where I also have a HDS Gen 3. I have the 3in1 mounted to the transom just below the level of the jack plate and a PDRT-WBL shoot thru in the bilge and temperature sensor on transom. I use the 3in1 for 2d, side and down when idling. I can switch to the thru hull and get reading on either the Gen 3, Live or both while running. Decent 2d up to about 35 mph. When I had a 2d skimmer mounted to transom and proper level I got good reading up to about 50 mph but got tired of buying $85 transducer several times a year

P01135809

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pavi69 View Post
    I just added a Live unit at the console where I also have a HDS Gen 3. I have the 3in1 mounted to the transom just below the level of the jack plate and a PDRT-WBL shoot thru in the bilge and temperature sensor on transom. I use the 3in1 for 2d, side and down when idling. I can switch to the thru hull and get reading on either the Gen 3, Live or both while running. Decent 2d up to about 35 mph. When I had a 2d skimmer mounted to transom and proper level I got good reading up to about 50 mph but got tired of buying $85 transducer several times a year
    This touches on but doesn't answer my question completely.

If I have a 3in1 on the backplate and an old thru hull passed in, Cant I read the old transducer at speed for basic readouts and then use the 3in1 for a crisp clear picture when idling?

Quote Originally Posted by TownesZ21 View Post
    This touches on but doesn't answer my question completely.

If I have a 3in1 on the backplate and an old thru hull passed in, Cant I read the old transducer at speed for basic readouts and then use the 3in1 for a crisp clear picture when idling?
    Yes, when idling, I use the 3in1 for everything, including 2d. When I get on plane, I can switch to the thru hull for one or both units. I only switch one but have done both just to see it work.

P01135809