Solix and Mega DI/SI

I'm looking to get a Solix G2 Side Imaging unit if I can find one. I don't think the G3 is worth the extra $$ at this point, assuming I can get a deal on a G2.

If I understand things correctly, the Solix 10 CHIRP Mega DI+ G2 just does down imaging and the SOLIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2 can do both down and side imaging. There is a lot of transducers available, anybody have recommendations on which one to go with?

Thanks,

Blair

Every Humminbird unit that is a Side Imaging model does 2D sonar, Side Imaging, and some form of Down Imaging.

Helix unit's transducers have 9 in their model name=#9 connector that is 7-pin.
    SOLIX unit's transducers have 14 in their model names= 14-pin connector.

The transducer that comes with the SOLIX G2 SI+ unit is the BEST one available.
    If you find a SI+ CHO model then you would get the XM 14 HW MSI T.

The DI unit doesn't come with a transducer as they are packaged as CHO (Control Head Only) for use with the Minnkota built-in MDI transducer. That would be the one you would have to purchase a transducer for---either 2D or DI+.

The G3 units are ONLY SI+ models with or without a transducer (CHO).
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

AND the standard transducer for the G3 SOLIX SI units is the same as the one for the G2.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Good luck finding a "Deal" on a Solix G2. They are holding their price very well. I'm looking for one myself. About the best "deal" I've seen is $2,500 with transducer and that's only $500 less than the price for a new G3 with 2 years of warranty. Most I have seen are only $300 to $400 less than the G3 price.

Of course, the G3s aren't in full distribution yet so finding one of those isn't very easy either.
    Last edited by SLYDoggie; 01-23-2021 at 10:16 PM.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

5. Member
    Thanks I appreciate the detail,

Regarding G3 being only SI models, does that mean you couldn’t utilize a Minn Kota with the built in DI transducer? My future plans include hopefully a Mega 360 or Mega Live. Maybe Humminbird is intending those using Mega Live to not use DI up front?

Blair

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Every Humminbird unit that is a Side Imaging model does 2D sonar, Side Imaging, and some form of Down Imaging.

Helix unit's transducers have 9 in their model name=#9 connector that is 7-pin.
    SOLIX unit's transducers have 14 in their model names= 14-pin connector.

The transducer that comes with the SOLIX G2 SI+ unit is the BEST one available.
    If you find a SI+ CHO model then you would get the XM 14 HW MSI T.

The DI unit doesn't come with a transducer as they are packaged as CHO (Control Head Only) for use with the Minnkota built-in MDI transducer. That would be the one you would have to purchase a transducer for---either 2D or DI+.

The G3 units are ONLY SI+ models with or without a transducer (CHO).

Quote Originally Posted by DogWalker View Post
    Thanks I appreciate the detail,

Regarding G3 being only SI models, does that mean you couldn’t utilize a Minn Kota with the built in DI transducer? My future plans include hopefully a Mega 360 or Mega Live. Maybe Humminbird is intending those using Mega Live to not use DI up front?

Blair
    You don't loose any capability. If you connect a DI transducer to them, they will be a DI unit. They will do whatever transducer is connected to them. If you connect a 2D transducer to them, they will be a 2D-only unit. If you don't connect any transducer to them, they will be a Chart Plotter.

The MEGA 360 connects to the unit's SI circuits in transducer port so you can't get SI from a SI transducer with the MEGA 360 attached. The MEGA 360 REPLACES Side Imaging and does Side Imaging and 360, but not at the same time.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL