excel spreadsheet....fishing log...?...

Do you have a excel spreadsheet fishing log?....I have never got into fishing logs...but after I watched a video on an angler that keeps an excel spreadsheet fishing log I thought the info. would be very interesting. Unfortunately the angler did not share all the data points used but I thought maybe others have something that could be made or what would be good to have in one.
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

2. Member

Fishing Log

Goobs
    Lake Hartwell
    Phoenix

3. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I have kept on for years and refer to it often when I have an upcoming tourney. Sure helps remember some good times
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

I do not, but if I did, I would probably use Google Sheets instead of excel, cause then I could easily update or reference it from my mobile device vs being on a computer

I use a tourney weight tracker app on my phone, not religious about keeping it updated though.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

6. Member
    I kept one for years for musky fishing. I logged all follow ups, hooked fish and landed fish. I included lake, date, time, weather conditions (temp., clouds, etc.), water temp and depth and lure. Generally, it was easy to do for musky fishing simply due to the few number of fish encounters. I eventually grew tired of doing it and stopped. It would be too difficult to keep one this detailed for bass fishing for each fish, but I can see where some type of daily log for bass fishing could be beneficial.

7. Member
    Should be easy to integrate into depthfinders. You would already have date, time of day, water temp, location, depth (may not be relevant if you are casting). Just push a button when you catch one, could have options for species, weight, etc.
    Last edited by mikeky; 01-24-2021 at 03:39 AM.

I used to use printed sheets like that and kept them on a clip board in the boat. Then, I’d transfer the info to my fishing log when I got home. Now, I just rely on my memory and record the info. I have a record of every fishing trip I’ve taken since 1982. I record most of the information on that sheet in an At A Glance daily planner that has one page per day.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

I keep one on my iPad. Just capture weather, water temp, water clarity, areas fished, baits used, fish caught. Just in a note. No spreadsheet.

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

10. Member
    I kept one in Microsoft Word and after about 10 yrs of that decided to write a program to handle it better. After a month of trying to transfer the data from word to the app I decided to just stay in Word. After 15 years of logging I learned the fish do what they want when they want. I stopped logging this year. It is fun to go through and read it though. Just a few notes and I can remember that day like yesterday. It's weird how that little info triggers the memory. .

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    Should be easy to integrate into depthfinders. You would already have date, time of day, water temp, depth (may not be relevant if you are casting). Just push a button when you catch one, could have options for species, weight, etc.
    this needs to happen
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

I used to keep very good logs back in the 80’s but stopped.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

13. Member
    I do. Data points for me are:
    Date, Time (of catch), body of water, location on body of water (which creek, etc.), Weather conditions (temperature, sun/cloud, wind, pre/post frontal), depth, bait, color, species, weight/length, water temp, water clarity. I use Google Sheets but I update it when I get home. I just take a picture of the fish with the bait in its mouth and then go back through all the pictures when I make my log. Obviously if I catch all the fish on one bait, that's easy.
    2001 Champion 187 Yamaha 175
    12' Talons, Lithiums and Garmins
    All pulled by a Hemi

14. Member
    what about the angler bullseye thing? I would think it uses your phone location services to get an idea on what the weather was at that point and then it marks a waypoint and time at that location
    Fish have fins, they swim

15. Member
    I use Microsoft Word for my log. I try to log it within 2 days of my trip so I can remember everything I want to write down. I also make note of anything out of the ordinary that I may have seen that day while on the water or on the road. I have been doing this for years and it is interesting reading to go back and see what took place that day.
    2007 Bass Cat Pantera IV
    2018 G3 Sportsman 1710

I keep an Excel sheet. I capture air temp, water temp, clarity, weather, wind direction and speed, size and quantity of catch, a trip summary. In the spring I also capture photo period and moon phase.

It helps some with fishing but mostly it is a nice record of my trips. It it fun to relive the trip from the descriptions I write down. Been keeping it for about 12 years now and has been a worthwhile exercise for me. Making an entry in the sheet is a day after the trip ritual now.
    Tight Lines,
    Andrew

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    I used to keep very good logs back in the 80’s but stopped.
    same here...

Mercury Pro Team

2017 Triton 20 TRX Patriot
    250 Opti Max Pro XS
    Twin 8' Power Pole Blades
    2 Solix 12 gen 3 , with mega 360

18. Member
    Yes. I use iphone calendar and download it into a spreadsheet twice a year.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC