Thread: Help wanted

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    if truckers took the weekends off some of y’all would have a mental breakdown.
    Yep. Some folks and their 1st world problems.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by robdy72 View Post
    This didnt just start it has been this way for almost a year
    No it hasn't. The extra unemployment has been there but if this EO goes into effect, people can just walk away from their job, claim they're afraid and draw. Before, they had to be laid off.

3. Member
    Let’s get a bbc book club going and read “the jungle” by upton Sinclair !!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by one-over-par View Post
    This is not really towards the unemployed but...

This right here is what is wrong. If I worked 48 hours M-F...
    I don't care if it's $100 an hour on the weekend, I'm not working. I want to go play in Sundays Hockey league with the boys or head to the lake and relax.

Company's want any all help they can get but it's to their mindset (You work everyday and if overtime is needed you do it! No compromise)
    How can a person schedule plans for their free time if work says, "nope you can't leave."

This is how it got to with my last job. My last day started at 4:30am and at 6pm everyone was told no one could leave until supervisor said so or you would be fired. I gave my 2 sec notice and walked out the door. Best decision I ever made.
    Started my own and am now my own boss for the last 7 years... I make my work hours to fit around my Life. If all you do is work and sleep, you have no life.
    I'm the opposite. When I was hourly I volunteered 90% of the time because I wanted the money but also, I never got any grief on those occasions when I did refuse, most jobs I enjoyed what I did, I have a strong commitment to the team to make us succeed, and consequently I rose up the ranks quickly and got more responsibility adding to the enjoyment.

I do think I'm extreme though. I don't get paid for ot but routinely work 60÷ hours a week (probably closer to 70). I also help my reports whenever I can. I worked 16 to 20 hours the past two weeks helping one guy that had gotten behind and about 5 hours today helping another that flew to Korea Friday; I know he will be balls to the wall over the next couple weeks and the travel time is a killer. I know that they appreciate it and when I need them to go the extra mile to help me they will be there.

My team are project engineers and as such, you do what is needed to get the job done. That's just the way it is. When I did analysis, the tasks were predictable and only required minimal ot, not much stress or surprises but I found this boring.

How many others enjoy stress, different challenges, and schedule pressure and enjoy it; consequently, wind up working some crazy hours?

There are times I get fed up with it but as my wife has said many times, she's not sure i could be happy any other way.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by one-over-par View Post
    This is not really towards the unemployed but...

This right here is what is wrong. If I worked 48 hours M-F...
    I don't care if it's $100 an hour on the weekend, I'm not working. I want to go play in Sundays Hockey league with the boys or head to the lake and relax.

Company's want any all help they can get but it's to their mindset (You work everyday and if overtime is needed you do it! No compromise)
    How can a person schedule plans for their free time if work says, "nope you can't leave."

This is how it got to with my last job. My last day started at 4:30am and at 6pm everyone was told no one could leave until supervisor said so or you would be fired. I gave my 2 sec notice and walked out the door. Best decision I ever made.
    Started my own and am now my own boss for the last 7 years... I make my work hours to fit around my Life. If all you do is work and sleep, you have no life.
    i agree 100%.companies have done nothing but hurt themselves over the years.you can probably thank our government for a lot of the changes in the corporate world.they want to own you and dictate your life and lifestyle even when you are on your own time.not going to happen for most,job or no job.
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

6. Member
    why the hell would anyone take a job when they are getting an extra 600$ from unemployment to sit at home and make way more than they did in their job.........we are truly screwed !!

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassman Ia. View Post
    with that mindset, no wonder the trucking industry is hurting. Week-ends??? Saturday and Sunday are 2 days of the week.
    As much as the guys on here beatch about not getting that secret bait or that new jersey delivered on time, if truckers took the weekends off some of y’all would have a mental breakdown.
    Only day you're guaranteed to get home at OD is Christmas day. We are a small end of the line terminal here in Lexington, so it's M-F. It's changing here though, building smaller terminals closer together, no more mega terminals. Wild bag drivers are just about gone, teams usually get short hopped every where they go. Still good money to be made but it is getting more difficult. I run Lexington to Morristown, Tn. every night, Morristown is our largest terminal, 300 dock doors, 1200 trailer parking spots, 1300 employees. They have a hard time finding people wanting to work, forklift drivers there make 60k a year, hard work though, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. The business is definitely changing.

8. Member
    That's on them. My shop my rules!
    I pay far better wages than anyone else. I have guys that show up and stay until the job is done, we don't play! Period! No BS,no politics, no favoritism. I have no problems letting someone go.I have guys waiting for a chance to come and work. Government contracts demand quality and timely delivery. I make it very clear to all, I can cut back on orders and only have a few guys working, and I will be making a lot more money, in that case. I don't need any geniuses, on the job training is free, and if you want to make more money, then the opportunity is there,and then some. I don't offer paid vacation time. What I offer is a savings account for time off. No one is without help, if someone is struggling, then we find a way to work around an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TMG View Post
    No way. I would take every bit of that overtime pay.
    The older guys in here are OT hounds. They'll work 12 hours Monday-Thurs so that all the hours they work on Fri, Saturday and Sunday are double time. The newer guys aren't all about it at all. As far as the comment about the labor market being just that, a market, it's hard to find good employees when the unemployment rate is 2% in the county. Simply put everyone that wants to work already is, that 2% has no real desire to do so. Luring people away from their current job isn't easy either if they've been there for a while and have earned a lot of vacation time they won't start over somewhere else with less time off and having to start out on an off shift. Some of our northern counties had 0% unemployment before covid hit, no one could get help.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by robdy72 View Post
    This didnt just start it has been this way for almost a year people are off work and wont go back because their making more money sitting at home.
    It just just started that people can quit a job from fear of Covid and draw unemployment. Not get fired, layed off or terminated but willingly quit and draw unemployment.

11. Member
    That happened in April at my work,a couple of people just said I’m out and left for unemployment
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by BPenrod View Post
    Only day you're guaranteed to get home at OD is Christmas day. We are a small end of the line terminal here in Lexington, so it's M-F. It's changing here though, building smaller terminals closer together, no more mega terminals. Wild bag drivers are just about gone, teams usually get short hopped every where they go. Still good money to be made but it is getting more difficult. I run Lexington to Morristown, Tn. every night, Morristown is our largest terminal, 300 dock doors, 1200 trailer parking spots, 1300 employees. They have a hard time finding people wanting to work, forklift drivers there make 60k a year, hard work though, hot in the summer, cold in the winter. The business is definitely changing.

Friend of mine is on at ABF, most weeks are 3000 mile weeks. Mostly west traffic lanes, Omaha- Cheyenne- Salt Lake- Denver. Omaha to Indy is a nut buster 608 miles, that run and the Chicago terminal are on his hate list

13. Member
    All of a sudden I have Kung Flu paranoia... my new found phobia + cash jobs only = earlier retirement. I love America!!

14. Dogfish_Jones
    Somewhat off topic here but it seems this thread is floating in different areas.
    About 15 years ago, I finally got to the point in my work life that I owe nothing more to the company i work for but the hours I have agreed on. I learned it the hard way, I worked what seemed everyday, into the nights, spent more time at work than home. I pretty much gave this company my life and I worked to make sure I did everything I could to make it successful.
    Then one day I got a call on my cell phone as I was leaving a meeting. My supervisor ask to meet him at a Burger King. Sure, no problem, and I meet him there. We sat down and right off the bat he said, today we are letting you go. We really do not need you anymore, and really with you being with this company so long your pay is way too high for what we can pay for your replacement.
    I had been with this company 12 years and gave them way more than they paid me. I ask my supervisor are you all going to give me a severance pay? He laughed at me and said no, we do not pay severance pay. I then call the owner of the company and when he got on the phone I told him, I have been told you no longer need me and are letting me go, what's going on here. He answered me with, I really do not need to talk to you, you are not one of my employees and hung up the phone. Mind you this company bought out the company I was with and their ways of doing things were...well they were always hoping they would never get caught in the ways they ran the business.
    They hired a young girl about three days later, I do not know what they paid her, but I do know they fired her a few months later and three years later the company went bankrupt because of being caught by the IRS.
    I learned that you mean nothing to a company, you can work your ass off, work all the hours plus some but when they decide they do not need you or they think they can hire someone cheaper, you are gone. There is no type loyalty that a company shows you. I found out most companies do not appreciate the extra things you do for them. From that time on, I work, give them a good days work for what we have agreed on, but I do not go beyond that anymore. I will not work for free anymore.
    I have found out that I have a life outside of work now. I feel like a person now and not just a number on their spreadsheet.

15. Member
    And the fact that in the end your company doesn’t really care if you leave or stay is nothing new but it’s a lesson we all learn. Worked for Kmart years ago and a floor worker died and the company just told us he didn’t work there anymore,it just so happened a guy who lived in his town told me he had a heart attack and didn’t make it.
    Red Sox in 6!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogfish_Jones View Post
    Somewhat off topic here but it seems this thread is floating in different areas.
    About 15 years ago, I finally got to the point in my work life that I owe nothing more to the company i work for but the hours I have agreed on. I learned it the hard way, I worked what seemed everyday, into the nights, spent more time at work than home. I pretty much gave this company my life and I worked to make sure I did everything I could to make it successful.
    Then one day I got a call on my cell phone as I was leaving a meeting. My supervisor ask to meet him at a Burger King. Sure, no problem, and I meet him there. We sat down and right off the bat he said, today we are letting you go. We really do not need you anymore, and really with you being with this company so long your pay is way too high for what we can pay for your replacement.
    I had been with this company 12 years and gave them way more than they paid me. I ask my supervisor are you all going to give me a severance pay? He laughed at me and said no, we do not pay severance pay. I then call the owner of the company and when he got on the phone I told him, I have been told you no longer need me and are letting me go, what's going on here. He answered me with, I really do not need to talk to you, you are not one of my employees and hung up the phone. Mind you this company bought out the company I was with and their ways of doing things were...well they were always hoping they would never get caught in the ways they ran the business.
    They hired a young girl about three days later, I do not know what they paid her, but I do know they fired her a few months later and three years later the company went bankrupt because of being caught by the IRS.
    I learned that you mean nothing to a company, you can work your ass off, work all the hours plus some but when they decide they do not need you or they think they can hire someone cheaper, you are gone. There is no type loyalty that a company shows you. I found out most companies do not appreciate the extra things you do for them. From that time on, I work, give them a good days work for what we have agreed on, but I do not go beyond that anymore. I will not work for free anymore.
    I have found out that I have a life outside of work now. I feel like a person now and not just a number on their spreadsheet.

I agree 100%. Every job is different, some jobs demand more hours, days, weeks, months, away from home.

Guys on here will beatch about union jobs, but they want paid for the work they do. When I ran coast to coast with a non union company they didn’t pay anyone for
    Hanging Iron
    Chaining or strapping down loads ( they did pay $20 to tarp)
    Any down time— chair shiner not lining up a load, truck / trailer problems, weather,road closures,
    sitting at a customer’s waiting on them to unload.

When I was union, they paid you for downtime. In return you gave them what they deserved- 14 hours a day, 70 hours/8 days. If your main road was closed, you find an alternative route if you can to get their freight to the customer.

When E-logs came into existence, companies were on a trial period before it became law. One of my best friends told the road boss “ I don’t play game boy “. Boss said “ Everyone will be using E-Logs, or they won’t be trucking” Dec. 15th of that year was the date the company was going full forward with E-Logs, Dec 1 Mike gave his 2 weeks————— so did 3 other drivers the same day. Mike had 46 years as a Teamster, I think between the four of them they had 213 years if I remember right. Four guys out of the same barn, tough to replace, but the company is still going strong 4-5 years later.

He took a picture after his last tour, notice the big crowd wishing him a great and well deserved retirement?.
    The company did have a get together for the four retirees a few weeks later.

Last edited by Bassman Ia.; 01-25-2021 at 01:13 PM.

17. Member
    just my opinion but if every one of us stopped going in to our jobs, they would not miss a beat

most of us, me included, are small cogs in a big machine

loyalty to a corporation or company over your family is the wrong decision
    1995 Ranger 690 VS
    2008 Yamaha 150 4 Stroke

18. Dogfish_Jones
    Quote Originally Posted by Flip Flop Fisher View Post
    just my opinion but if every one of us stopped going in to our jobs, they would not miss a beat

most of us, me included, are small cogs in a big machine

loyalty to a corporation or company over your family is the wrong decision
    I agree. I use the example to others this way.
    1- Fill up a cup of water, that is the company.
    2- Put your finger in that cup, that is you.
    3- You leave the company so take your finger out of the water and notice how fast the water fills that spot.
    In today's age of business, companies in general do not care for their employees, you are only a number. You normally do not see that 20+ years at the same job. We are at the very end of that happening now. When you and I retire I really do not see people being at the same job for that long.
    I also understand employees leave for reasons too and leave their company but make no mistake, we are replaceable.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crestliner16 View Post
    That's on them. My shop my rules!
    I pay far better wages than anyone else. I have guys that show up and stay until the job is done, we don't play! Period! No BS,no politics, no favoritism. I have no problems letting someone go.I have guys waiting for a chance to come and work. Government contracts demand quality and timely delivery. I make it very clear to all, I can cut back on orders and only have a few guys working, and I will be making a lot more money, in that case. I don't need any geniuses, on the job training is free, and if you want to make more money, then the opportunity is there,and then some. I don't offer paid vacation time. What I offer is a savings account for time off. No one is without help, if someone is struggling, then we find a way to work around an issue.
    you sir are to be commended.as you probably already know most of the corporate world is completely different
    keep working,your neighbor thanks you

20. Banned

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast