Thread: Hub Issue

Hub Issue

2003 Marine Master Single Axle Trailer
    I helped my nephew replace his spindle sleeves. All of that went ok. He also replaced his bearings and races. The current hubs are not original. They were changed several years ago, I know because the boat/trailer used to be mine before I gave it to him several years ago. They are now “industry standard” type hubs that use 256-168 seals. When we installed one of the hubs, it would not go on far enough to install the cotter pin. I also know the inner race for these hubs are different than the original ones used in UFP hubs. I was able to get the hub on far enough by using a socket and “cranking it down” quite a bit. I continually rotated the hub as I “cranked it down.” I then loosened the nut and retightned to “finger tight”. I have changed many bearings/races throughout the years but have never had this issue before. After I “finger tightened” the nut, it rotated easily and I was able to install the cotter pin. Do you know what may have caused this issue? The only thing I can think is maybe my nephew didn’t quite get that race 100% seated and it seated all the way when I tightened it. Also, do you think the bearings could have been damaged by “cranking it down”. I didn’t use a torque wrench so I don’t know exactly how much pressure I put on it but I’m sure it was less than the force I would use to tighten a tire. Should he leave like it is now or do something else? I am open to suggestions.
    Thanks
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    What you describe is exactly how you are supposed to install new bearings and races. Generally there is a torque spec for how tight you need to get them. It seats the bearing and race in position.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    Thanks CatFan,
    Now I feel better. I have always torqued them fairly good, loosened the nut, then finger tightened it. In 35+ years, I have never had to torque one that much just to get the nut past the cotter pin hole. I was getting a little worried. It’s tight now with no play but still turns freely. I think my nephew should be good now. Thanks again.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

It’s tight now with no play but still turns freely. I think my nephew should be good now
    I bet he's good to go.

My best guess is that the Races were not seated down all the way. Could have been either one or both. A little makes a big difference !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    My best guess is that the Races were not seated down all the way. Could have been either one or both. A little makes a big difference !!
    This^^^ is exactly what I was thinking. It wouldn’t be a bad idea to recheck the hubs after a few trips. I’d just jack the wheel up and try to move the wheel by hand. If it’s still tight, you’re good to go.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments