Hull blisters..!!

Needing to get hull blisters fixed. Trying to decide if I want the Gorilla hull or normal fiberglass finish. I like the durability of the gorilla hull, just don’t know if I’ll be happy with the looks. Kinda OCD. Any feedback would be helpful from the guys that had hull blisters and how they had them fixed. TIA

Depending on severity some can be sanded and buffed, sanded and resprayed, ground out glasses and resprayed, etc.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

3. mikesxpress
    Do a search. Lots of osmotic blistering threads that can answer your question in great detail.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank68 View Post
    Depending on severity some can be sanded and buffed, sanded and resprayed, ground out glasses and resprayed, etc.
    They have already started to pop if that’s the correct terminology. I haven’t brought it to a fiberglass shop yet, just showed them a video of the boat. Both places said around $4,000. Triton AND the insurance will not help. I know this has been discussed a million times on here probably, but that should fall under hull warranty.

5. mikesxpress
    Negative.
    No boat OEM covers cracking/crazing/blistering of gelcoat. Never has. Never will.

$4K for blister reparations on bunk areas is the
    norm IF the underlying glass hasn't been compromised. Repair to include stripping/removal of the gelcoat down to the fiberglass. Heat bake glass to remove all moisture. Spray epoxy based barrier coat and full cure. Spray gelcoat/sand/buff.
    Do not put the hull back on carpeted bunks.

6. Member
    Having same problem with my 09 Ranger 520. Bad thing is F@f fiberglass has best reputation for gorilla hull or 10 weeks behind

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Negative.
    No boat OEM covers cracking/crazing/blistering of gelcoat. Never has. Never will.

$4K for blister reparations on bunk areas is the
    norm IF the underlying glass hasn't been compromised. Repair to include stripping/removal of the gelcoat down to the fiberglass. Heat bake glass to remove all moisture. Spray epoxy based barrier coat and full cure. Spray gelcoat/sand/buff.
    Do not put the hull back on carpeted bunks.
    If not carpet, then what? 99.9% of all trailers have carpet bunks.............

8. mikesxpress
    Gatorbak bunk covers. They are a sponsor here. -10% off your order.

Many if not all boat manufacturers are adding an anti-blistering compound to the Gel nowadays....
    Layton Strong
    Nitro State Team

10. mikesxpress
    Anti-blistering compound? Never heard of that. Please explain exactly what that is?

Never heard of anti-blistering compound.

Some manufacturers are using Vinylester Resins, $$$$, but they are much, much more resistant to Osmosis than standard polyesters.

12. Member
    How did you get 10% off your order?

13. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    How did you get 10% off your order?
    Donnie visit the Gatorbak website and select the bunk sizes/color/end caps/hardware you need. Then contact Jonathan at jvanmeter@gatorbak.com to place your order and obtain the BBC discount.

14. Member
    Thank you! Yesterday morning I literally was on the Gatorbak website compiling all my items. I saw this post prior to checking out at Gatorbak! Thank you for the info, you just saved me around $50!

15. mikesxpress
    American Coating Association (ACA) amendment #1113 that took effect in 2011 (and has been modified multiple times since) reduced the VOC coating emissions (gelcoat) by 50%. Gelcoat is a permeable coating to begin with and this VOC reduction ruling increased its permeability. *Note: Osmotic blistering has been occurring on boat hulls for many years prior to this amendment.

All boat OEMs are using the same basic viniylester/polyester gelcoat. None of them will ever divulge exactly what type/brand they are using but it doesn't matter. All of the gelcoats to date are permeable and can develop osmotic blistering. All of them!

The addition of an epoxy barrier coat aides in blister prevention, but does not stop it from occurring. Many of the OEMs are applying this barrier coat in the bunk contact areas only. All boat OEM hull warranties exclude gelcoat cracking/crazing/blistering.

The only thing a boat owner can do is reduce/eliminate prolonged water contact with the hull. I spent months researching osmotic hull blistering when my 2009 Ranger Z21 Intracoastal developed the beginning stages (measles) in 2015. I had the hull reparations completed, including barrier coating, and installed the Gatorbak bunk covers while the boat was at the shop. No more issues.

Last edited by mikesxpress; 02-03-2021 at 08:00 AM.

16. mikesxpress
    2017 Ranger blistered hull. They don't just form at the bunk board contact areas.

17. Member
    In Ranger's defense, they only put the barrier coat where he bunks are. With that said, I have Gatorbaks on my 2017, I did not have any blisters but don't want any either.

18. mikesxpress
    Ranger only started applying the barrier coat on the bunk areas a couple years ago. BCB has been doing it allot longer. If your bunks take weeks to dry then the hull is susceptible to blistering.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Ranger only started applying the barrier coat on the bunk areas a couple years ago. BCB has been doing it allot longer. If your bunks take weeks to dry then the hull is susceptible to blistering.
    it was a little more than a couple years ago. 2012 is when they started to apply the barrier coat in the bunk area. I know, I had my 2009 fixed as well as you did as well. I agree with you on everything else and definitely feel that Gatorbaks are a great investment.