Where can I get a SHO powerhead????

I have a 2018 250 SHO. 210 hrs. Getting water out of the #4 cylinder. Looking like I might need a new powerhead. Here's the problem. I still have a couple years warranty left, so I Called my dealer today just to see wait time, and he said that none are showing to be available, and that Japan is showing indefinite.....Which means 3 months to a year!!!!!!!! That is really a bad spot to be....warranty, but no way to get it fixed under warranty. Any suggestions?
    Any used SHO's out there for sale??

2. Member
    Are you looking to sell the one you got

3. Member
    Call Hydro Tec they might have one in stock for ya.

4. Member
    Not sure what I'll be doing with mine yet. I have to have a Yamaha dealer look at it before I can be sure what exactly is wrong with it. I am just trying to see what options I may have, other than waiting on Yamaha and being without a boat for a very extended amount of time.

Thanks for the reccomendation. I'll give Hydro Tec a call as soon as I get confirmation on mine.

5. Member
    Probably a cracked head. Easy fix.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

6. Member
    Well, got word today that it looks to just be a leaking head gasket!!! Whew!!

7. Member
    I am sick to my stomach reading this!! I believe my head is cracked as well. At least that is what happened 2 seasons ago when it was leaking crankcase oil in the same spot! They replaced the powerhead last time. I am hoping I get lucky with something else.

8. Member
    No doubt mine has 2 oil leaks, one is to believed to be a cracked port head. Funny part is no one can tell me why if happened. Never been overheated or anything like that, it’s crazy for a head to crack for no reason.

9. Member
    Called it
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddsmith View Post
    No doubt mine has 2 oil leaks, one is to believed to be a cracked port head. Funny part is no one can tell me why if happened. Never been overheated or anything like that, it’s crazy for a head to crack for no reason.
    Well, think of it this way. Just how thin and light is everything being made so these things are just over 500lbs!! so I promise you there is not much extra anywhere! cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    I am sick to my stomach reading this!! I believe my head is cracked as well. At least that is what happened 2 seasons ago when it was leaking crankcase oil in the same spot! They replaced the powerhead last time. I am hoping I get lucky with something else.
    Do you store the boat outside and had a hard freeze lately? Or, ran it hard in cold water before warming it up? I feel like most of the cracked heads I hear about come this time of year.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

12. Member
    It does stay outside in a open pole barn, I trim it up and down multiple times after use and store it trimmed all the way down when it’s parked to try to insure all the water is out. I do always warm it up good and let it cool down before/after ever run even in the summer. I figure it had something to do with freezing water being is I ran it one day and it got down to 27 degrees that night. The next day I was going over my motor and noticed a small leak. Question is what do you do to avoid this?

13. Member
    Good question. I bought my SHO used with a cracked port head. Replaced that and have put around 100hrs on it since with zero issue. I keep mine inside and am VERY meticulous about not only warming it up, but letting the oil warm up and heat cycle it a couple times (run below 4k, stop, idle to get temp back down and oil pressure back up, and fish) before I run it hard. Not so generous in summer months but follow this routine in winter. I don't know if that's a solution or not but it gives me piece of mind.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

14. Member
    You live in Texas I live in Maine. It gets cold here in October. I do everything you mention above and more! I actually monitor my engine temps on my Lowrance via a Yamaha interface. I also unhook my flush hose and let it drain when its cold weather. Also I never go over around 4500 rpm when its cold.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    You live in Texas I live in Maine. It gets cold here in October. I do everything you mention above and more! I actually monitor my engine temps on my Lowrance via a Yamaha interface. I also unhook my flush hose and let it drain when its cold weather. Also I never go over around 4500 rpm when its cold.
    I get it. As I said, don't know if my OCD does anything other than give me piece of mind.
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO