Understanding the Judgment

2. Member
    So many read these verses but never ask the question "who are these brothers of Jesus"? in the context in which it is written. It is a powerful point he makes @16:30 . Readers just skip over "audience relevance" and magically plant themselves into the text.

3. Member
    I assume this is why no one has "exegetically" responded ?

4. Member
    Apart from James and Jude, we know very little of the other brothers and sisters. However, according to some older catholic writing, especially from some convents, Mary had no other children and gave birth to Jesus in some spiritual aura that remained a virgin in eternity.
    It makes me wonder why some people want to distort truth of GOD wanting Jesus to be totally human yet totally God in the Spirit, yet come from common humble family by a human whom GOD chose to fulfil His promise and covenant. I have hoped that there was a little more about Joseph and his interaction with Jesus Christ, yet very little is known about that.

5. Member
    Dig, I do not know if you have watched this video. The point made at 16 minute mark in the video and following was If you can identify who Jesus was referencing when he used the term "brother" ( and Mr. Bondar did just that in this video) then it is simple to understand what and too whom the sheep and goat judgment applied. Mr. Bondar made it clear the sheep and goat judgment has nothing to do with us today.

6. Member
    Yes, yes, I do know about whom the reference of 'brother and sister' is make when Jesus addresses the person that notifies him about His mother, brothers, and sisters being outside inquiring of Him.
    Only those who do His work and the Father's work are considered to be worthy to be His brothers and sisters. Mark 3:31-33, Mark 6:3

I guess that I was just thinking aloud in the previous post. These verses present some controversy, since the Catholic Church teaches that Mary remained a virgin her whole life. There is no evidence in the Bible that this is true, and there is no theological reason why it should be. The word translated "brothers" is from the Greek root word adelphos. It means a biological brother In no way does it suggest that they were cousins or Joseph's children from an earlier marriage or a concubine. In fact, the context of these verses makes it clear that the persons in question are not "cultural" brothers, but actual family members.