284DC wiring questions...

I'm installing new electronics in my 1995 284DC and decided to use one of the accessory switches. After I removed the panel, I figured out that the panel of switches are fed from a single 12 ga wire coming from the main power switch. The main power initially feeds the power switch that controls power to the livewell pumps. Then power jumps from the the first thermal overload breaker to the next one, down the line to the rest of the breakers until the last switch, the accessory switch I'm using for my Garmins. What's weird is that the power wire that feeds the last thermal breaker has another blade sticking off of it and a orange/black wire is coming off of it and disappearing into the wiring bundle. That means that wire is hot and unswitched because it is connected to the hot wire feeding the breaker. Why? My plan is to run a separate wire from the battery to the breaker, and run a wire from the switch to a block under the console where I'll connect my electronics. I'm just wondering where that orange/black wire is going because I'm planning to disconnect it with the existing power feed that currently exists.

any ideas? I know this is hard to understand and it was hard to write. My idea is that it was just a convenient place for stratos to power a wire, independently of the accessory switch. Now I have to figure out where it goes.

2. NC Bass Club/Yamaha Motors Moderator BuzzB8's Avatar
    My guess, to the bow. There you will see two feeds, red and black, orange and black. One set is switched ( To the main power switch at the console) and the other is unswitched.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzB8 View Post
    My guess, to the bow. There you will see two feeds, red and black, orange and black. One set is switched ( To the main power switch at the console) and the other is unswitched.
    I would agree. I have 2 sets of power wires at the bow. One set has crimp connectors and the other has push in. I used 1 set of these for the garmin I installed.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

If your Garmin is anything like the Garmin I installed there will be a diagram that shows how to wire the device. I would bet $ Garmin does not recommend wiring it the way you described if its a device with a high demand for good, clean uninterrupted power. I would bet Garmin recommended running a dedicated wire direct from the unit to the battery with a fused link and cut off switch near the battery. Pending the length of the wire run and load on the circuit they may recommend 8 or 10 AWG...now I don't know what Garmin device is in question but if its one that has a high demand for good clean uninterrupted voltage then I will guarantee they do no recommend tapping into something that shares power or has inadequate wire size.

5. Member
    gene, I'm just using the existing switch that I'm describing and running a separate dedicated power wire to it and from it to the unit. It will not be sharing power with anything. I'm trying to figure what I'm unplugging when I isolate this switch.

If you look at the top of this forum you will find a sticky thread regarding wiring diagrams....orange/black indicates accessory. Granted the word accessory can be multiple devices, so without knowing what device it powers your still lost.

As an experiment turn all switches to the off position and ensure your master power switch is in the off position. The switch that has a wire coming off it and you don't know where it goes use a volt meter or test light verify the feed side and the load side of the switch is dead. Then turn on the master power switch. Now check for power on the lead side of the switch. It should be hot and the load side should be dead. Turn the switch on and the load side should become hot. If this does not happen look for a blown fuse or tripped breaker pending your set up. My boat has re-set breakers but some boats have fuses at the dash panel. If the switch is good, the fuse/breaker is good and the switch is hot on the load side when its in the on position and those wires are actually hooked to a device that is working you should hear something come on or find a device that is on. Hopefully you can hear or see something come on, otherwise I have no other idea at this point.

7. Member
    I found the wire. It was not hooked up and had a wire nut on it, behind the switch panel up front. Previous owner had it hooked up to lights. Lots of strange wiring has been installed since this boat left the factory. I'm puzzling it all out and I've pulled a bunch out. Thanks for your ideas everyone.