New DF150SS low rpm's

A friend recently purchased a 2020 Excel Catfish Pro 21 with a Suzuki DF150SS and is experiencing low rpm's. Motor has been through the break in period but has never been over 4200 rpm's. The dealer says it is propped correctly with a 23p and really don't know what the issue could be. Is there a rev limiter set from the factory until there is a certain amount of hours on the motor?

2. Member
    No there is no “running in” rev limiter.

If he can only hit 4200rpm then something is wrong. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Too many possibilities to guess. From simple throttle cable adjustment to ................

They should be able to inspect it for throttle adjustment and if that isnt it, then hook it up to the SDS software and see what is happening pretty quickly.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    No there is no “running in” rev limiter.

If he can only hit 4200rpm then something is wrong. Take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. Too many possibilities to guess. From simple throttle cable adjustment to ................

They should be able to inspect it for throttle adjustment and if that isnt it, then hook it up to the SDS software and see what is happening pretty quickly.
    Okay I thought that I had read that there was a lowered rpm during break in period. He took it and left it at the dealer today, they put it on water and said there is a problem but not sure what it could be. He said they are going to look at it and see what they can figure out.

4. Member
    During running in, the manual says to keep revs in certain ranges during the first 10 hours.

But there is nothing electronic that governs rpm during the run in time. Its up to the operator.

He should ask the dealer if they have hooked the engine up to SDS and what that showed. I sincerely hope that the dealer has and knows how to use SDS (Suzuki Diagnostic System).

5. Member
    If it has a 23 pitch, what is the prop diameter and how many blades does it have?

Is that style boat a planing hull or displacement hull?

I believe the SS L/U is a 2:1 ratio, the standard DF L/U is 2.50:1.

A standard DF motor could be propped correctly with a 3 blade 23 pitch 16 inch prop, but an SS model would be over propped with the same prop.
    Last edited by billnorman1; 01-23-2021 at 06:52 PM.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    If it has a 23 pitch, what is the prop diameter and how many blades does it have?

Is that style boat a planing hull or displacement hull?
    All I know is he said that the dealer did calculations and put on a 3 blade 23p but no other prop specs. The boat is most like a mod v flat bottom.
    I talked to him earlier today and he said the dealer checked the throttle cable and the computer everything looked good. The dealer took it to the lake with other props and it took a 19p to get the rpm's where they should be. He was going to pick it up from the dealer and then take it to the lake himself and verify that everything is good now.

7. Member
    I'm following this thread as I'm in need of a re-power and my dealer has recommended the Suziki 150 SS. is there any difference between the 2020 model and 2021 model, I see post about the new lower unit with new gear ratio, when did that change? My boat is a 2005 Stratos 285 Pro XS with a 2004 Johnson 150, strong Motor with plenty of torque, I've hit 62MPH with light load, but starting to have issues keeping it on the water, thus the Re-Power. Is anyone running a similar Bass Boat setup, trying to get some real world performance numbers on the 150SS, how is Hole Shot and Top End?

Any info appreciated..

J

8. Member
    I strongly suggest you check the data plate on your boat, and if it allows 175 or 200 HP, go with that. I went from a 175DF to a 200DF and it made a world of difference on my 285. The SS models (are supposed to) have the 2.00:1 ratio which will allow your smaller style Johnson prop to be used. They may have a slipprier L/U casting to aid in performance. Other than that, the top end, powerhead is the same in the standard and SS model. The other big difference is paint and the SS sells for abut $1000 more.

You are getting great speed with that 150.

9. Member
    This Bill, appreciate the info.. Plate reads 150, I'd love to put a 175 on it..

J

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytd View Post
    This Bill, appreciate the info.. Plate reads 150, I'd love to put a 175 on it..

J
    Too bad, mine reads 200, and I'm glad.

11. Member
    My friend has had it on the water twice now to the boat is running great as it should with the 19p prop.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhopkins View Post
    My friend has had it on the water twice now to the boat is running great as it should with the 19p prop.
    The pitch is important, but the diameter actually is just as important, What is the prop diameter? If it's a Suzuki prop that information should be stamped on the barrell.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    The pitch is important, but the diameter actually is just as important, What is the prop diameter? If it's a Suzuki prop that information should be stamped on the barrell.
    I don't have that info. I haven't seen the boat, i just talked to my friend and he didn't say anything else other than the pitch. Next time I talk to him I will see if he has that info.