2012 Mercury Pro XS 250 Tilt Ram Leaking

Serial # 1B915930 2012 Mercury Pro XS started leaking thru the right side ram. I have taken it to a shop, they say I need to replace the entire assembly (about 1800 before labor). In researching the problem I have come across some YouTube videos where a similar problem was fixed by replacing seals on the leaking ram but have heard that will not fix the problem long term.

Should I have the entire assembly replaced or try to fix the ram seals? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If the only thing leaking is the STB side TRIM ram (the shorter ram), you should not have to replace the entire assembly to repair that. An endcap assembly, or perhaps an endcap assembly and the trim rod/piston should solve that. Relatively simple to perform, too.

Note: Get yourself a Factory Service Manual. Strongly recommend avoiding most of the 'tube videos as many of them are riddled with costly mistakes that end up propagated over and over by unsuspecting folks that are merely looking to save a little money.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Thanks a bunch!