Circuit Breaker Upgrade question

I have a 1998 Champion 171dc which I have upgraded the trolling motor to a new MG tour 82lb thrust trolling motor. I need to upgrade the 2 40 amp circuit breakers to a 60 amp.

The plate that holds the circuit breakers appears to be bolted onto the carpeted board behind the gas tank against the rear compartment bulkhead.

I have 6 gauge wiring but my question is, do I have to remove the gas tank in order to remove the circuit breaker plate?

If any of you have done this could you enlighten me?

Thank You

2. Member
    I would doubt it. Could you maybe post a pic? Also try posting on the Champion forum. Good info there!

3. Member
    Thank You for the reply. I did post on the Champion forum as well, but so far no replies. I will attempt to post a picture but I have never posted a photo so we will see how it goes.

4. Member

5. Member
    Remove the plate screws(black) The panel will pull down, then remove the breaker screws and wiring from them. You will only need 2 wires going to your new 60 amp breaker and two to the TM. The other two will not be used.

6. Member
    I have the plate off both breakers have two wires attached and they all say either trolling motor 1 or trolling motor 2. Should I use the 2 from the trolling motor 1 breaker and attach to the aux lug on the circuit breaker? Could just disconnect the other breaker and leave the wires in the boat?

7. Member
    All you will need is one positive wire (red) from your NEW 60 amp breaker to the trolling motor. The negative wire(black) should already be at your trolling motor plug. Just be sure that your positive wire going to your new breaker is connected to the batteries. The other positive wire can be left in the boat.

8. Member
    Thank You Champ 2001 for your help. I have solved the upgrade problem. My trolling motor was hardwired to trolling motor lug 1 at the bow. In order to get to the circuit breakers in the battery compartment you will have to move the gas tank and unscrew the access to the live wells by taking out the two screws on each side of the cover. (the black circuit breaker plate is bolted to this cover, it will not unscrew from the outside). Once you get to the back of the live well cover (set it on the gas tank) you can get to the breaker wiring. Since my trolling motor is hardwired to the trolling motor 1 lug at the bow I just disconnected the wires from the circuit breaker with trolling motor 2 wiring and removed the breaker. The trolling motor 2 batt wire can be removed from the boat and the other can be left in the boat since it has no power connected to it. Remove the wiring from the number 1 breaker and remove the breaker. The two wires are marked Trolling motor 1 and Trolling batt 1 with yellow markers taped to the wiring. Connect the trolling motor 1 wire to the aux connector on your new circuit breaker and connect the trolling batt 1 wire to the battery connect on the circuit breaker. (You will probably have to crimp new ring connectors on to the wiring depending on your new breaker connector size) Screw the circuit breaker to the trolling breaker plate and reattach the livewell board to the rear blulkhead and move your gas tank back and you are finished. I hope that this will help other Champion owners needing to upgrade their circuit breaker.
    Last edited by dcchamp171; 01-23-2021 at 11:15 AM.

9. Member