Thread: Starter?

Starter?

Back in June my rectifier decided to let the smoke out. 1996 Faststrike 150. After finally getting it back the end of September, the rectifier, stator, power pack, coils and plugs were replaced. As well ass the carb throttle bodies because the fire extinguisher powder corroded the shafts and they would not open. I finally got to take it out a couple of times. The first time ran good. This past Sunday i had it out and it was fine until it was not. After about 3 hrs of running and fishing I went to run to another spot and just before it broke over to plane the motor shut off just like id pulled the kill switch. It fired right back up and ran to few more spots and this time it didnt restart. Just a faint click of the starter. I checked my battery cables and were tight, they are double nutted. I messed with what little i could do on the water and started trolling/fishing back towards the ramp. I left the cowling off during this time. The wind was howling and i was out of trolling batteries so just for grins i hit the key and it turned over, slowly but it started and to the ramp. Any idea what going on. I know the loopers are picky about the voltage but what does the starter and stalling have in common, aside from the stator wire on the big stud of the solenoid?

2. Member
    Sounds like low battery voltage. The Guru's are going to want your Model Numbers
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

3. Member
    J150GLEDB

4. Member
    I guess that is possible but my volt gauge showed it was charging right at 14v. My graphs also showed like 13.8v. I am wondering if i have a bad ground or other connection from the corrosion of the extinguisher dust. I tried to neutralize it best i could when i got it home the day of the fire but i very well could have missed something.