Water in rod box

Hey guys,
    i keep the boat in the garage, Ranger 361, but when it was in the shop lot for service we had a lot of rain. Cover was on the boat but I’m sure it got drenched and it doesn’t really drain off the cover great since the cover is pretty much flat on front deck. Anyhow, I opened the rod box when I got it home and it had water in one corner. The floor around the console was wet too, I expected that for as much rain we had. I can’t figure out where the water came from. The plug wasn’t in. I can’t see where the lip around the box is cracked. The water was on the interior or to the right side of the box Any ideas?
    thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Probably got deep enough in the corner where that lid meets the console that it went up and over that lip.

3. Member
    Maybe through the lid lock. There’s very few of them that don’t leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Bass View Post
    Maybe through the lid lock. There’s very few of them that don’t leak.
    I've never owned one yet that wouldn't get wet during a good rain.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    Probably got deep enough in the corner where that lid meets the console that it went up and over that lip.
    This.
    Another way water can get in the storage areas in boats, especially the vintage of a Ranger 361 is the rain leaks around the lids which it has to. The rain is suppose to run around the storage lip. In a heavy rain the closed lid creates a dam and the water rises above the lip and into the storage. The only way I could keep the storage area in front of the console dry was to place something under the lid edge to lift it up and let the water run around the storage area lip.

6. Member
    That could be it. The carpet on the lip of the lid was wet. The rod box is opposite of the console side on the port side. It may have come through the lock. That makes sense based on where the water is. Thanks.

I agree that it's likely the lock. My starboard rod locker leaks and I thought it was the weather stripping, but in the meantime all the weather stripping on the port rod locker came loose. Got stuck in the rain, port side still dry, starboard side wet. Long story short, yep, it leaks through the lock.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

8. Member
    I had this happen to me once at my service place. His overflow parking area is grass and not level and water built up like said above and got in.

9. Member
    You probably need to replace the weather stripping. As far as getting the rainwater to run off, I place a large empty storage tote on my deck under the cover, it creates a nice peak.

Doesn't the compartment lip have a drain ?

11. Member
    Thanks for the responses guys. Much appreciated. I have a hard time thinking about water building up and going over the lip. But maybe. The port side is just flat around the lip, no channel drain.I figured the water would have made it out onto the floor. THe seal/weatherstripping is good, like new. I have replaced it before. I can see coming through the lock. The lid is every so slightly warped upward in the front right corner, maybe 1/8”. The water ended up in the right rear of compartment toward middle of boat. The carpet wasn’t wet forward of the lock, but just damp under the lock. Good thing is I keep it in the garage so this is just a nuisance, but one I don’t like cause I’m so OCD with this boat. I bought it new when I was 21 years old and it is still in great shape. Maybe I’ll just go fish in a pouring rain one day and see if I can figure it out....

12. Member
    I had the same issue on a 1994 482 VS. The lids to the rod box have an upward bow in them. Maybe up a 1/2 inch in the middle. After trying various weather stripping I gave up. I cut a piece of plywood for the bottom of the rod box and carpeted it. Then bought 1/2 pvc pipe and screwed it to the bottom of the plywood to keep it above the bottom carpet. What this did for me is keep everything in the rod boxes off the wet carpet. If an when I open the rod box and smell any mildew, (Maybe once a year) I simply remove the bottom I made, wet vacuum it out and let it dry.

Yes I realize it is not a total solution, but my stuff in the drivers side rod box stays dry. E.g. Tools, life jackets, fire extinguisher, etc.

Hope this helps.
    Bazzectomy
    CrusinArnd
    1994 Ranger 482VS
    1993 Merc 175
    Call it the Puddle Jumper....